Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16008 - 11/17/03 07:06 AM Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
I got a Bantam Cochin last weekend at Nationals. She has been doing ok considering that my RIR and my Rock are picking on her at all times. I have to put them somewhere in order for her to get by the food or water, otherwise they don't let her. I had noticed yesterday that her comb and wattles were pale. She was eating and drinking when I would make the bigger birds get away from her. Today, her comb and wattles are still pale and she is sitting in the hen house with her eyes closed, like she is sleeping. She ate a tiny bit and drank a couple sips of water...It appears that she is done with molt since she has not lost any feathers in several days now. She has not laid for me since I have had her and the guy I got her from couldn't tell me if she was laying for him or not. I thought she was eggbound so I felt around and she doesn't appear to be. So, what else could be wrong??? Could it just be stress and if it is, why am I just seeing it now, she's been here over a week...Any help would be appreciated.

#16009 - 11/17/03 07:39 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The poultry who go to shows are often terribly stressed. They are exposed to possible infections and have interrupted feeding, no roosting and loss of their flock mates.
It is wise to isolate new birds, as long as 2-3 weeks, especially from shows or sales areas, until they are settled, eating well, and you know they are not bringing in disease to your birds.

And it is always difficult to put a new bird into a pen that is settled with birds that are already friends and with a routine. Your new pullet has not had a chance to make all this change. She really needs to be by herself for a while, until she is used to new food, surroundings, and then introduced, maybe just to one or two of your birds at first. She is not going to thrive as things are now. Hope you can work it out, as I am sure she is a lovely little thing and needs to be integrated carefully. She is unlikely to lay under the present associations. She could probably use some electrolytes in her water for a few days, and some hand feeding. Good luck with her! CJR

#16010 - 11/17/03 08:24 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Well, I did have her by herself with just my Silkie for the first few days since the Silkie was at the show too.I then made the mistake of letting everyone out into the yard, so they quickly got introduced. I was just out with her and she is drinking a little but not showing much interest in eating. I don't think she likes the pellet food I have. Should I mash it up for her? Also, I noticed she is covered in BUGS! They are all over her. Could this be another reason she isn't doing very well?

#16011 - 11/17/03 11:15 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Lice or mites--YES, this can weaken her to the point of death! And unfortunately, she has now brought them to most or all your other birds. There are various dusts and sprays for mites/lice. Mites (the teeny fast crawling ones) are harder to get rid of, and both require at least a second treatment to take care of the next hatching eggs. And check again in another 2 weeks for possible new hatch.

For Louse powders, I find the one with Rabon as the active ingredient, the quickest cure, and it kills eggs also, but is caustic around the vent area (and I use Desitin ointment on the vent, if scabby or to protect from the powder.) There are other powders, Sevin, is a good one, but it is not available easily any more, as well as Permecterin ll, which is best used as a bath, soaking well, and requiring safe drying, so there will be no chills.

Adams Flea and Tick Spray used to be a good control for my birds, but doesn't work for my birds any more. You can use Cage Bird spray with Pyrethrum, not a strong one. There are other sprays, as well.

Main thing is to visit your feed store--see what they have--and treat the little pullet as soon as you can!!! And then you must check all your other birds regularly for possible spread of the bugs!! You may find that she will pick up and thrive in a very short time.
Good luck, CJR

#16012 - 11/17/03 05:51 PM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Well CJR, I got flea and tick shampoo for puppies and bathed her....EWWW, she was covered in bugs. Her tail feathers and vent area had so many bugs that my fingers were black with dead bugs when I was washing around there. YUCK! The skin around her vent and tail were so red, they looked almost raw. I slathered that area up with Bag Balm. My feed mill had Sevin Dust, so I stocked up. Tomorrow, I will dust her and the other girls. Can I use Sevin Dust in the hen house too? After her bath, she drank a tiny bit and ate a couple pieces of scrambled egg. When I put her to bed, she crawled under my Silkie...Poor thing. When I dust them, do I just put it on their feathers and rub or what?

#16013 - 11/17/03 10:59 PM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
CJR Offline
Coop Master

The dust has to cover the mite/lice, as it clogs their "pores". Since they are mostly on the skin, it needs to reach them at the skin level. I used to use a Hairdye plastic bottle with a snout end. (hard to fill, but a cone of paper works.) I could puff the powder right down to the skin without wasting any on the surface. Wear gloves and do not breath the dust! If you can have help to do all the birds when they are roosting, it is easier than catching them in the day time, when they are active and will flutter a lot of the dust off. Good Show--you doubtless saved the life of your new little one! CJR

#16014 - 11/18/03 08:31 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Well, I just got done dusting all the birds and their house and nest too....let me tell you, that is some work! None of them were game for that-they were squawking and clucking when they were having it done and then the other ones who were watching were doing the same thing! WOW! I am tired!
I hope I did it right. I tried to get it down by their skin, but wasn't sure how much dust to use, etc...Is it ok they look a bit white now? They have a PIT in their coop where the 2 standard birds dust bathe, so I sprinkled some dust in there too. The Silkie doesn't dust bathe so I hope I got her enough. While dusting the other birds, I gave the Cochin some wet cat food with the iron pill powder crushed on top. She ate very little and drank a sip or 2 and resumed her normal stance of the last few days huddled in a ball with her head tucked in her feathers. I didn't see any bugs on her or any bugs on the other birds, but that doesn't mean they don't have them. Anyways, she still has me worried. How long do you think it will take before she starts acting normal again or should I see a difference?

#16015 - 11/18/03 11:30 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Your little Cochin is doubtless anemic and this will take a while to correct. Electrolytes with vitamins in the water for a few days, then again later, may speed up her energy level. Good luck. And say, dusting at night when on the roost, is much easier and avoids the fluttering and catching--next time you might try it that way??? You know, you must do this again in a week or two. CJR

#16016 - 11/19/03 06:20 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

CJR, she is perking up a bit today. This morning she is not looking sleepy and she was eating corn and tomatoes. I can't find electrolytes for poultry but I do have some for babys on hand - Pedialyte I think. Could I use that? I am going to give her a bit more iron pill powder when I go out again. So far, so good! Her comb and wattles are still pale, but I guess when they are bright red again I will know she's fine. About the dusting, I think next time I will try it when they are roosting....it's too hard to try to hold on to them and apply dust at the same time, not to mention the other ones stick up for one another...they see one getting dusted and suddenly I am the bad guy! But, thanks so much for your help in this matter! wink

#16017 - 11/19/03 08:38 AM Re: Could she be Sick or Stress???**UPDATE**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spoyld when you try dusting do you do it when they are upright? I have a suggestion. Turn them upside down in your arms. My chickens all tend to act like they are asleep when they are upside down in my arms. I don't know if all chickens are like this but all 30 or so of mine do. I could literally pull every feather out of their behinds when they are like that. They are the easiest to handle when upside down too.

I can do any checking for problems when they are upside down. Try it just once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box