Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16194 - 11/16/05 10:29 AM Can these birds be done laying already?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an ancona and two buff minorcas and possibly some other breeds that have quit laying altogether. They initially stopped when they began to molt, but the molt seems to be over, at least I'm not seeing that many feathers laying around. Then they started to lay again then stopped again. Their combs look frosted (light and appear dry). Does the appearance of the light comb mean that they have stopped laying for good or does this happen when they mold as well. I didn't notice during the molt. I've only been getting 9-11 eggs out of 23 hens and can't afford to keep them all if they won't produce again. The birds in question are purebreed and just over a year old.

#16195 - 11/16/05 11:22 AM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
Have they had a scare? Loud noises, wild animals,... This will shock them into not laying for a few days. Changes in temperature sometimes also seems to slow them up. Changes in their pen, changes in almost anything, molting...

#16196 - 11/16/05 12:13 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No changes. Really wondering about the change of color in the combs. I know they say that you can tell by the color of the combs if the hen is laying. I just want to know if once they change they're done laying for good or if they will get red again and resume laying. Is the change usually temporary or permanent? Are they too young to have stopped laying permanently?

#16197 - 11/16/05 12:47 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
Pale combs are normal while not laying. I've read here that pullet's combs start to turn red as they start to lay. How old are they? They should lay ok until a couple years old, with breaks.

#16198 - 11/17/05 07:29 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Sarah B. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
It is getting to that time of year when hens stop laying for awhile. It takes about 14 hours of light for a hen to lay an egg. One way to fix this problem is to put a light on them. Caculate how many hours of daylight you have and then supplement with artifical lighing to make 14 hours of light. You will also notice a decrease in the size of comb and wattles of hens that have stopped laying. The faces will become pale as well. Don't be alarmed, this is quite natural for hens. I usually give my birds a couple months of rest before starting up the supplemental lighting. Hens generally lay really well for the first two years. Then begin to slack of after that. You will still get eggs just not as many. Did you know that when a pullet hatches she has (according to Story's Guide To Raising Chickens) about 4000 undeveloped eggs inside her. Cool!!!

#16199 - 11/17/05 08:08 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Do you think the light will make them lay more eggs? I am of the opinion that they will lay a certain number of eggs each year, the added light will cause them to possibly produce more out of season but at the end of the year, the number would be the same. Advantage to added light is to gain more out of season eggs, not a higher total nuimber of eggs. If the eggs will be used for hatching and breed improvement, it is unwise to stress the hens by this procedure as it may cause a weaker egg thus chick thus adult fowl.???
We tried artificial lights to get early hatched stags in the game chickens, we achieved that but the later hatches were as good or better performers, even being a couple months less mature.

#16200 - 11/17/05 09:00 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Sarah B. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
The purpose of the light is start them laying again. I don't think it will make them lay anymore eggs than before the light. As for how many eggs a bird lays a year, that depends upon the breed, feeding, housing, climate, stress and the like. If you take care of your birds they should lay to the best of their ability. We have never have had any trouble with weaker birds in the winter as compared to the summer. On the contrary, with an incubator it is much easier to get better hatches in the winter. You can control the temperature and humidity better. You can always add to it but it is more difficult to take away.

#16201 - 11/17/05 10:41 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How long does it take for artifical lighting to take affect? I've got 16 hrs of light a day now for over 3 weeks and still not a single egg from 30 hens. All molted and are done, got good feed and I am out of ideas.

#16202 - 11/18/05 09:57 AM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Booth Creek Poultry:
When you decide to add lighting for winter production, it has to be done gradually. When I do it, I increase by about 30 minutes over two days. It take about a month before light stimulation has the desired affect and egg production begins.
You should see the combs on the hens get full and red again by now, after 3 weeks. That's one of the first signs that they are getting ready. They should also be very active and beginning to eat more.
I put lights on my breeders just after Christmas last year and got my first egg on January 29th - the others soon followed.
James

#16203 - 11/18/05 04:22 PM Re: Can these birds be done laying already?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My chickens are eating like pigs and have bright red combs, yellow legs and over all look healthy and are highly active. I started with 15 hrs of light a day and gradually got longer. They don't seem to care though. The last 3 years they were laying without light and this year the quit mid august and never started again.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2