Topic Options
#16361 - 07/06/07 10:01 AM Chick with eye trouble
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a two day old chick who has a little cross beak problem, but more troublingly it seems to have one eye that is very small and looks like it might be deformed. The other eye seems normal but she has not opened it yet, and I don't know if it is stuck shut or if there is a problem there too. Any suggestions on how to unstick/see if it will open? She's so tiny, I'm afraid to touch her face with anything.

#16362 - 07/07/07 08:12 AM Re: Chick with eye trouble
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

On closer inspection her eyelids seem to be too small, or cannot open right, so her eye remains closed. It's undoubtedly part of the deformity of her face. I have read in other places that a blind chick can live, but does anyone know how I can help it to eat? It mostly stand with its head up in the air, and doesn't peck at the ground.

#16363 - 07/07/07 10:11 AM Re: Chick with eye trouble
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You must decide if this chick should suffer as it grows (if it cannot eat and drink, it will not survive, but will try.) Chicks that lose their sight after seeing at first, or losing sight as adults, have little problem eating a drinking, if kept in a familiar place, or pen, where they seem to find their feed--even roost--but a chick that has never been able to see, well, I am not sure it is kindness to let it slowly fade. Force feeding chicks for any reason is usually never a good thing. We cannot possibly know their requirements for timing and amount of water or feed. It is so sad, but is one of the "things" that we must face, when we bring chicks into the world. We can try again--and experience the joy of chicks, and also accept the sadness. Good luck, CJR

#16364 - 07/07/07 03:24 PM Re: Chick with eye trouble
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Yes, I have accepted that there's a good chance she won't survive. It's such a shame, she's so adorable. I don't want her slowly starve to death, but I don't what I could do otherwise if I knew she wouldn't make it. it's so hard to see her nest mates so healthy and happy and she's struggling.

She can see somewhat. She can see light changes. If a shadow passes over her she startles, and she was pecking at the ground around her toes at one point, she just usually holds her head with the beak pointing up so I can't guide her to food. I don't know if her eyes are intact under the deformed eyelids. I just don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer, but I want to give her every possible chance if I can.

#16365 - 07/08/07 12:28 PM Re: Chick with eye trouble
Jordy Offline
Feather

Loc: California
I had one sorta "deformed" little chick that doesn't look quite right. She had crippled legs that I splinted, but one eye seemed deformed -- in the fact that it was smaller and she kept it closed alot.

I figured as long as she was willing to live, I would fight with her.

I wondered if the ey was blind but she did react to things. The eye was slightly cloudy and shrunken. I washed it with a camomile tea and then dropped collodial silver into it. A couple of days later, it was gunked up with white stuff which I washed out again. I repeated this - gently squeezing out white beads of something... it was like pus but not exactly.

Anyhow, her eye is completely normal now and looks great.

I hope this information can help you.

Jordanne

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2