Topic Options
#16727 - 02/27/04 09:45 AM Roo's comb ripped off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have two standard Roo's in seperate pens, but they are connected,they have been fighting through the fence, today when I got home the RIR's comb is almost totally ripped off,hanging on by about a 1/2 inch.should I cut this off?

#16728 - 02/27/04 10:23 AM Re: Roo's comb ripped off
Anonymous
Unregistered

Machele
you can cut it off. This is known as dubbing. You can take some dubbing shears or if you cann't find them a pair of really sharp sissors will work. If this is your first time doing this you will need another person to help out. To make this task earlier wrap your rooster in a damp towl, this will keep him from moving to much. Have the other person hold him, put your left thumb in the roosters mouth with your forefinger under his bottom beak. Hold him securely and trim from the back of his head to the front. Now you don't want to trim too close or you'll find out there is an artery in the center-top of his head. After trimming take a feather from under his wing, one with fluffy down on it and place the feather over the cut with the root of the shaft facing the roosters bill. The vains in the feather seam to help hold up the blood and clotting begins. Also put some flour over cut helps to clot faster. You may want to trim the waddle also if not he'll look weird. Bare in mind there will be some blood. It will take a few weeks before he is fully healed. Some do this early in the day and set them up in a separate cage to observe. Keep plenty of fresh water in front of him at all times. Hope this helps. cool

#16729 - 02/27/04 10:45 AM Re: Roo's comb ripped off
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you JCM_445 I cut it off,it was ripped pretty close to his head, but he seems better now that he doesnt have all that flapping around his head. thank you again

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2