Topic Options
#16808 - 06/09/05 01:29 AM Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Anonymous
Unregistered

4 mo. old pullet came in with a cut on her her shank a few days ago. I medicated it. The next day her foot was really swollen and greenish below the cut. I gave her some terramycin, but was really confused about the dosage: the 4H lady said 1 tsp. per gallon; but how much of a gallon will one hen drink? So I gave it to her stronger than that. Today the foot appears less green, maybe slightly less swollen. Her poop is very liquid and very green. She continues to eat (not much though) and drink the water. Foot looks really bad. What should I do? What's wrong with her poop, is it a side effect of the antibiotic?

#16809 - 06/09/05 01:58 AM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Anonymous
Unregistered

PS I have been soaking her feet once a day in a mineral salt bath. Does she need it more often than that?

#16810 - 06/09/05 03:32 AM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
It sounds like she has a bad infection. Most likely bacterial and should have an injectable antibiotic. Terramycin isn't much good for this type of infection. The feed store probably told you right on the mix and that is based on the amount a chicken will drink in a day. I suggest a trip to a vet to find the correct course of action for this. Good luck!

Bill

#16811 - 06/09/05 09:11 AM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your quick reply, Bill. There is so much I don't know. I went ahead and started the terramycin after a couple of people said they'd used it for wound infections, and before I knew about a penicillin injection. Her foot does seem less swollen this morning, is definitely not green anymore.

You bring up the question we struggled with the first day: the cost of professional help. Do most people spend the $45 it costs to get in to see the vet (and we always assume that's the starting fee, although it isn't always the case) when the patient is a member of a backyard flock? This is not our family dog; she will never lay golden eggs; how can I say this? Our family would have to go without something else pretty significant to pay for a vet. How many people make that kind of investment in their chickens?

#16812 - 06/09/05 02:40 PM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
If this bird is live stock and its purpose is to feed your family then I would cull it before putting any money in it. The fact that you have started treatment and showed concern led me to think this was more of a pet. Some times that line is blurry. You would need to get a lot of eggs from her to justify a vet bill. Those who are not used to putting down an animal find it hard to know when to say when. That will have to be your decision. What ever you decide is the right choice. You may wish to continue treatment for awhile and see if the trend is for better or worse and then decide but a word of warning, the longer you nurse an animal the harder it is to cull if you need to. If you continue treatment please keep us updated.

Bill L

#16813 - 06/09/05 03:09 PM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
For what it is worth, I have 'pet' chickens but will not take a single bird to a vet. One I would not be confident in the quality of service (some vets donít Ďdoí fowl) and two I canít justify spending A$50 on a A$10 bird no matter how much I like her (donít keep roosters).

If I had a flock wide problem that would be different as I am not only exposing myself to risk but also my neighbors and other poultry keepers.

David

#16814 - 06/09/05 07:06 PM Re: Bad fooot problem worrying me!
Anonymous
Unregistered

We started with chickens because I got an incubator for a science tool. I guess chickens can be pets, livestock, or teachers.
Her infection is obviously improving a lot, little swelling and no green, but the foot is still so limp, although she's has hopped a bit today. Now she's starting to peck at her toenails, and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem. Will she start to attack her foot, and then what do I do? make one of those collars like I have for my allergic dog so he doesn't bite himself? She is loving my creamed beef & potato soup. (Starting to sound more like a pet.)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2