Topic Options
#17180 - 01/04/05 05:32 PM 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
Raven Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
Hi There:
This is kindof nutty, but...I'm SO proud of this accomplishment.
My gelding stomped on one of my little modern game roosters about a month ago, snapped both his legs- one above the foot, one snapped above the spur on the other leg.
Bad, nasty breaks- I should have culled immediately but the little guy got up, and ran (with 2 flapping broken legs, ewww...) back to the henhouse. Not ready to die that easily...so...what the heck.
Anyone who doesn't know Moderns- they are all legs- very long and upright.
This guy's a real pet-and was a showbird, still had potential as a breeder. I found (on here, I think)- a suggestion for a broken leg- splitting a large straw, wrapping it in self-adhesive vet-rap, etc.
Well- it was worth a try, if only for the experience.
I brought him and his "wife" in the house- splinted those legs, and waited. Kept them in a converted bureau where he had limited movement. He laid down for the first 10 days, and got very spoiled with eggfood and other tasty things with lots of calcium, for his healing bones. Checked for swelling daily- did "Physio" on him daily, letting him dangle his legs, etc..
10 days later- he was standing on those splinted legs! By 2 weeks- the splints were off, he was walking and crowing again. I'm THRILLED to say that after another week's recuperation- he moved back to the henhouse- and immediately flew up to the rafters! (8 feet high)
Danced around for the girls, sparred with the boys, walked on those narrow beams as if he were a gymnast- he's no longer "show-ring perfect"- but he's alive, and completely healed. One foot is a bit crooked, but otherwise ok.(It was so hard to splint straight, as it was swollen triple the size) The other one looks fine except for a slight thickening where the horse's hoof had sliced through his skin.
Yup- and I took lots of pictures of this happy little guy's progress.
Just thought I'd share it- if a chicken breaks a leg- it's not always time for the stew pot.
cheers,
Raven

#17181 - 01/04/05 07:25 PM Re: 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent news Raven!! smile smile Congratulations on a job well done and a great accomplishment.

#17182 - 01/07/05 06:15 PM Re: 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
Raven Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
Thanks, Zoofemme!
I'm so pleased, just to know that it can be done.
Now, not many people would try it- but... nothing ventured, nothing gained...as the days progress he seems to get even more strong, and more upright, and the swelling goes down even more. He's such a pleasant little creature, and seems to enjoy the fussing I give him. (Might be the treats that do it!)
Cheers,
Raven

#17183 - 01/12/05 02:09 AM Re: 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Fabulous job, Raven!!! Many many kudos to you!
And PS..took my Mom and two of my boys to your wonderful part of the world last summer and had a such a great time....many warm happy memories..
Again, GREAT JOB!
Linda

#17184 - 01/12/05 04:49 AM Re: 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
We have horses and I worry about that very thing.

Great Story, encourging! thx for sharing cool

#17185 - 02/04/05 12:51 PM Re: 2 broken legs on a Modern Game- FIXED!
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
COOL!!!!! smile smile smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2