Topic Options
#17214 - 06/28/05 04:05 PM Heavy breathing... then death
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
All of my hens are healthy and doing well. But my one hen got sick about 3 days ago with some heavy breathing, a respiratory thing, I suppose. She lost weight and her comb got pale. This morning she was dead. frown It all happened so fast. Any idea what it could have been?

#17215 - 06/28/05 05:31 PM Re: Heavy breathing... then death
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
thats a bummer. i think i remember that you take good care of your chickens too.
heavy breathing can be due to the outside temp, or because of stress/shock. did the bird lose a noticible amount of weight in the 3 days of heavy breathing? did she not leave the coop or the roost? if so it could have been many many things.

#17216 - 06/28/05 05:39 PM Re: Heavy breathing... then death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was it raspy breathing or just breathing hard? I've had a couple of hens over the years die from fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. One I just found dead in the pen and found blood by the liver when I necropsied her. But the other one bled slower over several days. Her comb too turned pale because she was bleeding internally. The heavy breathing comes because the hen gets anemic and breathes harder to try and get more oxygen. Usually this problem occurs in cage layers, but since I've had it happen a couple of times I've learned that it happens sporadically in backyard birds too. If it is just an occasional occurence, I don't think there is too much to be done.

#17217 - 06/28/05 08:17 PM Re: Heavy breathing... then death
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Original poster here... I've had approximately 100 hens over the past 6 years (in separate small batches between 5 and 35) and I've only had maybe 2 or 3 die from sickness. I think one was egg-bound. The other 2 died mysteriously like the one above. Bummer...
Our temperature has been steady and there's been no stress around the coop. As for the breathing, it was like a deep pant, beak open. At first I didn't pay it much mind. It was very similar breathing that my hens do when they're hot, and it has been hot lately. I feel bad for the little bugger.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2