Topic Options
#17761 - 05/29/05 02:21 PM Big vent?
Pierre Offline
Chicken

Loc: New York
One of my NHR pullets (8 weeks) has a vent that is a lot bigger than the rest of my chooks. What could be wrong? They are all on medicated crumbles.

She is acting normal except for a different peeping than the rest of them, sounds like a really long peep "tweeeeeeeeep tweeeeeeeeep" kinda reminds me of an old hen kinda sound.

Any help would be appreciated. confused

#17762 - 05/29/05 03:51 PM Re: Big vent?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Just from your brief description, the pullet could be "plugged". Is she pooping normally? Sounds are described differently according to our hearing. Is it, perhaps, a CHUURrrrp, CHuurrpp. (not a cheep or tweet sound) That usually means they are in trouble of some kind. Are they on shavings? And do the chicks have baby GRIT, for the gizzard to grind up the shavings that they eat? That just comes to mind as a possible problem. It is important, as the next symptom is hunchy and not being active. CJR

#17763 - 05/29/05 07:57 PM Re: Big vent?
Pierre Offline
Chicken

Loc: New York
I will be checking to see if she is pooping tomorrow. They are all on cedar chips (never had any problem with it, I always keep it dry). Most of the cedar chips are too big to eat although there are some smaller pieces. They have chips in the coop and dirt in the run.

Their fenced in run has all the tiny little rocks they can ever want. Do they get their own from there or do I need to get them some GRIT? I stopped giving them grit about 2 weeks ago, when they went to the coop & run. I have great ventilation and NO DRAFTS hence I have no ammonia problems and always have fresh water and feed 24/7.

What could be wrong with her? Why would her butt (vent) get so big. It literally is the hole itself, looks more like a dogs anus than a chickens. I don't know how to describe the sound she makes but it is the same sound they all make, the only difference is that she holds a note that makes the sound long. Her crop was soft and almost empty on the first check. Then I saw her feeding and felt it again, it was normal; food is definitely getting in. I am pretty sure she is pooping too.

BTW: CJR, you have been a great help! Every time I post a question you reply with exactly the information I need. It is appreciated!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2