Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17871 - 05/30/03 10:15 AM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Chickpine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Maine
Susie-
Km is in S. Africa - do they have "Sevin Dust 5%"?

All carbaryl is not necessarily the same. Check out the website.

Just because you and I know the difference in % and can read the bag and directions some people can't/don't.

All I'm suggesting is that people are careful and learn and ask questions.

#17872 - 05/30/03 02:58 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
If you read this thread, you can see that we have discussed the % and also the brand name issue. You can also see that the product she purchased is clearly labeled for use with poultry. 10% can be used with poultry also. I preferred trying 5% first.

Quote:
All carbaryl is not necessarily the same. Check out the website.
I have already researched carbaryl, thanks.

Quote:
Just because you and I know the difference in % and can read the bag and directions some people can't/don't..
She can obviously read the bag. She came on here and typed up exactly what it said.

Quote:
All I'm suggesting is that people are careful and learn and ask questions.
You're also suggesting that I don't research things and I base my poultry management on "because people dump it everywhere." Anybody can do searches online and read whatever research they want, but most come here to The Coop for anecdotal "what does everybody else do?" advice. That is what I gave. If you want to dump some wood ash on lice, have at it. But Karen is posting in other threads about having birds that are unthrifty and the best advice she can get from her co-op is to give them antibiotics. Her birds need some treatment so I shared with her where I draw the line between going organic and doing something that is fast-acting for the birds' general health. I have raised chickens for a long time and I have modified my management practices over the years. You can share your information and website links without implying that my commonly accepted suggestion is empty-headed and not based on any research on my part.

What alternatives are you offering along with your caveat?

Susie

#17873 - 05/30/03 09:05 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

if the birds are getting handled anyway- you can clip(with blunt edged childrens scissors please) a stripe o f feathers off o fthe butt- right undre the vent.
you will see a white crumbs here like bread crumbs stuck on the bases of the fluffy feahters.
this is lice eggs. this will cut the population in half. it will not elimmiate them- but give yyou less baby lice to deal with later.
you still must dust after clipping. be sure to get rid of the eggs- away from the coop

#17874 - 06/02/03 11:57 AM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for all the advice.

For now I'm going to use the dust I bought on my poor hens hanging upside down as you described Susie, thank you, because it feels urgent and I feel reassured about the poison danger part. Might toss some on my dog and vegetables too while I'm about it (wink).

Meanwhile I will continute to research friendlier methods of prevention. Thank you Chickpine for the website address, I will start there.

I am way too scared to clip their bottom feathers, Incubator. Really, I have never SEEN a vent in the proposed way before, let alone clipped a stripe around it. Staggering thought. Perhaps in a few years when I've spent more time in The Coop ...

#17875 - 06/02/03 12:27 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

The below mix works well for me

1 CUP 7-DUST
1 CUP DE
5 CUPS ASH
5 POUNDS DRY DIRT

This mix can be doubled
To clean dirt LOL just scoop out poop and refill when dirt gets low
Mix this in a small 'kiddie pool' and place were the hens can get to it. They will dust them selfs and pervent new mites for the most part

#17876 - 06/03/03 12:22 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Feather Farm for the clever idea of the children's blow-up pool.

#17877 - 06/03/03 01:08 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

next time you hold a bird- look one inch belowthe 'exit hole' there are fluffy feathers there. if lice are really bad- you will see what looks like white bread crumbs on the base of the feahters here.
somebirds will have only a few- but your weakest birds will have a lot- like huge crumbs.
they do not rub off- but as feathers are dry and without feeling- you can clip these crumby feathers off. a vast majority ofthe lice eggs will come off with them.
lice have an instinct to lay eggs only here. they will now lay on the stubs.
as for the bird- it is as dangerous a procedure as you gettng a haircut.
tehy do look a little silly walking around with a bare bum tho

#17878 - 06/03/03 01:25 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would not use a blow up pool but a solid one, mine is real flimsy plastic and cost like two bucks, if they roll they might pop a blow up pool

#17879 - 07/12/03 09:13 PM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Chicken Mom Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
what is DE?

#17880 - 07/18/03 09:16 AM Re: lice: cheap and/or organic treatments
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Another possibility, besides those mentioned, is stinky dusting powder...you know the stuff...Aunt Mable has tins and tins of it that the grandkids bought her at the dollar store. It is made often of talcum powder and that stuff is fine enough to clog up the bug's breathing pores and they die. Powder well, rub in..hold your breath..poor birds will smell like fake roses or some other fake flowers..grin You will need to re powder when the eggs hatch. I notice that the hens also roll in the ash heap...we burn wood...so stinky dusting powder doesn't get them all, but definately thins them out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2