Topic Options
#17919 - 09/14/05 01:51 PM Chronic Pasting
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
My little Beared D'Uccle hen has had chronic pasting problems ever since we got got her. When she was a chick there were others that had the same problems which was fairly normal, and after a few days she and the others got over it. For a while she was fine, but starting a month ago she started having issues with the poop clumping on the feathers below her anus. I keep cleaning her up, and at one point it was really bad. It's still happening to her to a lesser degree but not to any others.

She's perfectly healthy otherwise, and our other D'Uccle is fine. Is there a reason for this or way to prevent it?

#17920 - 09/14/05 02:38 PM Re: Chronic Pasting
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
You can try feeding some oatmeal? I dont usually fuss with problems in the flock but would rather cull them out and keep the flock health issues minimal. A couple years of severe culling and there are few health related issues. I did have 2 chicks which pasted this year,nature took its course, 1 lived and turned out great, other died.

#17921 - 09/15/05 02:09 PM Re: Chronic Pasting
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Well... my chickens are my pets so I don't want to have anything like that happen. She's almost three moths old, is there still a danger of her dying from it?

#17922 - 09/15/05 05:28 PM Re: Chronic Pasting
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, she is not perfectly healthy--she has some intestinal infection (enteritis) that has not cleared up. She will not be growing quite as well as she should. Probably an antibiotic might clear it up? I use Tylan for nonspecific enteritis (which may be what she is suffering from). But I am not a Vet--it is, however, what I would use for pasty chick. Must follow intructions--if in the form that is soluable in water, it should be the only water she has available. It comes in injectable form, also, but I have never used it. Keep her as clean as you can--your other birds can possibly be infected from her poop, but they may be immune to the "bug" by this time. Good luck, CJR

#17923 - 09/16/05 11:14 AM Re: Chronic Pasting
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Alright, thanks. I'll try some antibiotics. I was afraid it could be something I hadn't noticed like that.

#17924 - 09/16/05 01:27 PM Re: Chronic Pasting
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Zuzy, Not just antibiotics. Tylan is for nonspecific enteritis, (it is for cattle, hogs, also) all antibiotics are not. Enteritis is intestinal. Some antibiotics are for respiratory or other infections. Be sure that what you use is recommended for the problem--otherwise, it is not good for the bird and a waste of your money Good luck. CJR

#17925 - 09/17/05 07:52 AM Re: Chronic Pasting
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Alright. Thanks.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2