Topic Options
#17972 - 08/15/05 01:09 PM Help sick chick!
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
I am new to raising chicks. I have 34 5-10 week old chicks and I think there is something wrong with one of them. She is acting funny, just sits around mostly with eyes closed, seems to be breathing heavy, and seems to gulp air a lot. I removed her from the rest of the group and have her in a cage. She will eat but not too much, I have not seen her drink (but she must be or she would be dead already), and her poop looks fine. None of the others are acting this way and this was new behaviour for her. I was thinking it was too hot, but she continues to act that way even when cooler temps. I tried putting antibiotic in her water, still no change. Please help if you have any suggestions. Bjc.

#17973 - 08/15/05 02:49 PM Re: Help sick chick!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If she is one of the 5 weeks old ones, she may be what ROkimoto called a fading chick. A drop of plainCodLiverOil (eyedropper on the top of the mouth) for two days--not more than 3, could give her the boost she needs. Antibiotics are only good for certain bacterial problems and can suppress the natural immune system--NOT a good thing without a known reason to give any antibiotic. It may take a wee bit (1/2 t)of natural yoghurt-mixed into a spoonful of chick starter to get the good bugs back in the intestinal track--several days??. Fading chicks are hard to bring back, they just quietly fade away--hope this one perks up! CJR

#17974 - 08/16/05 06:16 AM Re: Help sick chick!
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks CJR, I will try what you have suggested and will report back about her progress. She is still alive this morning but not really any improvement yet. BJC

#17975 - 08/17/05 12:05 PM Re: Help sick chick!
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

When I got home from work this morning she was looking the worst, just sitting there with her eyes closed and very listless. I gave her the cod liver oil and a little yogurt mixed with her starter food. She did not try to eat the oil and I had to kinda dip her beak in the food mixture. Now 6 hours later I am up and checked on her. She was standing (I was happy to see) with her eyes open and perkier. In fact, I replaced her water then went to check the other chicks in the coop and when I got back she was standing on the edge of the water bowl. I am hoping for continued improvement. Thanks CRJ for your reply and info I am hoping this will work.

#17976 - 08/17/05 12:07 PM Re: Help sick chick!
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Sorry CJR, got your name mixed up. Thanks again, Brenda

#17977 - 08/17/05 01:58 PM Re: Help sick chick!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
For fading chicks, a few drops of Cod Liver Oil has been a miraculous treatment--don't worry about the chick eating and drinking--when it can, IT WILL. Hope it continues to improve. If the Vit A-D boost was the answer, (?)in a few days, you will not know which chick had the problem! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2