Topic Options
#17989 - 01/01/08 03:34 PM A bare patch of skin on neck
Zev Song Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
A week and a half ago I noticed that one of my Black Australorp hens was missing a small patch of feathers on her neck, exposeing her skin. At first I was worried that she was molting wierd but the rest of her feathers have stayed put. What could have caused it? Did one of my other birds maybe pull them out?

She also has a large cut on her comb, so it looks like she had a fight with something, but all my birds get along... maybe a rat? If yanked out, feathers will grow back right?

#17990 - 01/01/08 03:45 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
It's difficult to say what caused it, but the feathers should grow back.

#17991 - 01/01/08 04:16 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Do you keep a rooster? If so, that is the result of getting fertile eggs by some roosters. The feathers will not get to grow back, if that hen is a favorite--until he is removed for a while. If you do not keep a rooster--well, just an brief altercation with another hen CAN produce that--and the comb will heal and the feathers will grow back. CJR

#17992 - 01/01/08 07:21 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
Zev Song Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
I don't have any roosters, just a male peacock, and he's pretty shy around my ladies.

Glad to know she's not stuck looking like this forever! Her comb has healed a bit since then.

#17993 - 01/02/08 03:17 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
I keep a Rooster, and some of my Hens have bare spots on their heads,necks and backs.In the summer Elbino's favorite Hens have bare backs.This summer I had to put one of My hens in a cage (Banana) Because her back was completely bare!!She was in the cage for a few weeks, until her feathers grew back! So don't worry about your hen,She will be looking back to normal in no time! JULIA

#17994 - 01/02/08 08:40 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I don't cage such a damaged hen--I would get the rooster out of there for a while--he may just tear up the feathers on another hen! Even if you are saving hatching eggs, he does not have to be with the hens every day. And if you are not planning to hatch the eggs soon, he can stay away until you want to collect fertile eggs. I would NEVER let a rooster damage the hens. Poor dears deserve a contented life! Good luck, CJR

#17995 - 01/02/08 11:55 PM Re: A bare patch of skin on neck
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Good Morning ZevSong,

a large cut on her comb certainly does not sound like the results from the cocks-treadle(sp?) to me, I would agree on her fighting with someone instead. As for the feathers, yes, they will grow back, but this takes time, so be patient. Who can "visit" your run, what animals do you have there? Dogs, cats, rats, martens? Is your fence intact, any new holes? Just some ideas...

Hello Jean,

no intend to quarrel, BUT:

Quote:
Poor dears deserve a contented life!
I agree, but how about the poor rooster then? Donīt he also deserves a contented life??? Please donīt tell me a rooster is happy if you take him away from his hens!LOL! I think it only would be fair to think of another solution before removing the rooster, maybe more hens will do the trick? I donīt think itīs fair to remove the "bad rooster" just because heīs doing his job. I think itīs in our responsibilty to give him enough hens to prevent "overstraining", just my point of view, hope it doesnīt sound rude!;-) I just cringe everytime reading of "poor hens" and "bad roosters", damn, they only do what they are supposed to do, itīs their job to jump onto their hens, roosters are no monsters. Besides, the hens do not suffer from a few missing feathers, they take it easier than we humans do;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2