Topic Options
#17998 - 04/23/07 06:24 AM hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
One of my hens got broody and sat on her eggs for 5 weeks. (I was not sure when the other hens stopped laying their eggs with her).
Anyway as it turned out none of the eggs were fertile. I felt sorry for her and bought 4 chicks and put them with her and removed the eggs. She is very happy with her babies and she is a good mother. But her left leg will not straiten out. Her 'elbow' has a callus on it. Is this from sitting so long? Her wings are fine and so is her other leg. But she can't stand or walk normal.
Also, since she has been sitting for so long and not eaten a whole lot, do I need to give her more vitamins and different feed to 'fatten' her up?
Her appetite is fine and she does drink.

#17999 - 04/23/07 09:33 AM Re: hen is not walking normal
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I would just be letting her eat chick starter with the babies. I've never had a broody have trouble with her legs afterwards, but maybe she just needs some nutrition and time.

#18000 - 04/23/07 02:58 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

thanks for the reply. I will only put chick starter with them.

#18001 - 04/27/07 06:59 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

Well, she is not eating the chickenstarter by itself. I have to moisten bread and dip it in there. I realized she is slowly starving to death. Tonight I gave her oatmeal(soaked in water) She ate that within minutes!!
Anything else I can feed her with good nutritional value?
(besides fruits and veggies)

#18002 - 04/27/07 07:44 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about boiling some eggs and feeding her mashed up egg yolks? I sometimes will boil eggs and crush them up, shell and all, into some feed or veggie scraps. THat would be an easy way to get some protein and calcium into her. Good luck!

#18003 - 04/28/07 06:50 AM Re: hen is not walking normal
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I agree - hard boiled eggs. That might be just the boost she needs. CJR talks about soaking a little bread in cod liver oil as a booster. I've never tried it, but you might do that also. I'd just give it to her though, and not the chicks.

#18004 - 04/28/07 12:16 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

thank you much!!! I will get right on it.

#18005 - 05/27/07 11:36 AM Re: hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

Well, it has been a month now and the hen moved from the coop into a rabbit cage into the house now ....
The problem is in her other leg now. All the signs showed synovitis so I bought Terramycin.
That does not help either. She is still alert, but I do have to hand feed her.
I hate to stop trying to figure out what is wrong with her. (Also I do not have the guts to end her life. )
If I do have to do it, what is the most humane way?

#18006 - 05/27/07 10:24 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I'll share my experience.

I have an Ameraucana hen who was being picked on by the rest of the flock. She came to prefer hanging out alone in the hen house. Her feet became so calloused that she could barely walk. I suspected she had scaly leg mites (I was never able to prove that). For lack of knowing what else to do, I coated her legs with vaseline, trying to get it up under her callouses.

I was amazed at how quickly the callouses began disappearing. The day after the first treatment, she was outside waiting for breakfast with the others.

I hope whatever is happening with your girl, she's able to overcome it soon. Please keep up posted.

#18007 - 06/03/07 06:35 PM Re: hen is not walking normal
Murphy Offline
Feather

well, she has really smooth legs now !!!! LOL
Still not walking though. I will continue with the vaseline. One joint is still pretty swollen.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2