Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#18507 - 06/17/03 12:25 PM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The more knowledgeable the person, the greater the skill ought to be at keeping a civil tone. I just won't put up with the jabbing and nastiness. It drives less "expert" people away, and the board is for them, too. If you can't be nice about it, then don't post it. There are ways to say anything in a constructive and non-abrasive way. I think of it as the John McInroe syndrome: when you're that good at your game, there's no need to be a jerk about it.
And I will repeat: my opinion of what is being said is of no consequence to anyone, but my opinion of how it is being said is. I rarely know whether something being posted in a genetics discussion is factually true or not. But I have been around enough kinds of people to recognize an attack. That kind of tactic just isn't needed here. Anyone who wants to be nasty can put it in a private mail message and send it directly to the person. Most of the rest us don't want to hear it.
So there it is.

#18508 - 06/27/03 05:15 AM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/foods/heg144.htm
A Uni site on fowl killing worth a look could make
you all vegeterians !!

#18509 - 06/27/03 10:10 AM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

UKbrahma

That site is actually very instructive for anyone who processes their own poultry.

#18510 - 06/27/03 06:03 PM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Shahbazin Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Personally, I go with cervical dislocation, as it is neat, quick, & convenient - I can't go hunting around for dry ice every time there's a bird to be culled! I grab a handy tool (rake, shovel) slip the bird's head under the handle, then yank hard (once) on the legs while pinning the handle on each side with my feet. Done right, the bird gives a sort of quiver, then the muscular contraction thing. Unless you yank too hard, there's no blood, & it seems as quick as chopping the head off (& I don't have axes just lying around either).

#18511 - 06/27/03 07:52 PM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

fair enough- but not easy with large fowl- or for the chronically short among us!

#18512 - 06/28/03 02:11 AM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live half a block away from the grocery store. They always have dry ice and are open 5 am to 2 am, so no hunting for me. When you have over a hundred rodents (mice, rats, and rabbits, well rabbits aren't rodents) to kill every month, dry ice is definitely the easiest way. Also, try to dislocate the spine on an adult turkey, or cut off the head of one without help.

#18513 - 06/28/03 08:21 AM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

True Jason... my local Publix (grocery store) keeps it in their freezer section in a special cooler. $1.29 a lb.... can't beat that for convienent. smile

As to cervical dislocation, I have done super jobs (no suffering) and I have done terrible jobs (lots of suffering). I don't do it anymore. A good sharp ax is more humane especially for standard fowl if I am the one doing the deed.

#18514 - 06/28/03 11:10 AM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Shahbazin Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
FWIW, all my fowl are large - & the nearest grocery is a 2 hour round trip away!

#18515 - 06/28/03 12:21 PM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To each his own. If one is skilled at it, I am sure cervical dislocation can be very humane.

#18516 - 06/28/03 07:01 PM Re: cull by neck pulling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I disagree that cervical dislocation is humane. Like I posted above - it is a suffocation death just like hanging (hanging as a form of execution is a 'cervical dislocation' as well). People think cervical dislocation is humane because it renders the body incapable of responding to the suffocation, but it is a 'disguised' suffocation - the heart continues to beat, the brain is still alive - the brain dies because the bird cannot breathe.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2