Topic Options
#1840 - 07/17/02 09:30 AM Another Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Grit..when do I start it? I know they need it for eating the greens. I have been adding some clover and marigolds into the pen as scratch (small amounts because I had a pecking problem), should I give it to them now? They are young around 4 to 6 weeks. Is grit just the oyster shells?

#1841 - 07/17/02 10:18 AM Re: Another Question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Hi Jennifer!

Oyster shell is for calcium and just for hens who are of laying age. Don't give it to chicks. I use coarse sand for little chicks. I have pretty "rocky" soil so I don't do much else until they are in the adult pen. At that point they get commercial pullet/layer grit, which is crushed granite. Your chicks do need something right now but depending on your type of soil, they may be fine at the moment.

Susie

#1842 - 07/17/02 10:32 AM Re: Another Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Susie!
Thank you. My chicks are inside. I have penned off an area in a clean work room for them, so they get no soil. The coop is taking longer than we thought. Should I give them some coarse sand? Does it go in the feed or on the floor?

#1843 - 07/17/02 11:01 AM Re: Another Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know "on the floor" sounded odd. I meant thrown down with scratch. Altough I gues that wouldn't work with sand! shocked Don't mind me..I'm getting all this stuff gradually!

#1844 - 07/17/02 11:43 AM Re: Another Question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
You can just sprinkle sand on their food, as you would if you were putting salt on your own food. That's fine! Since mine are outside, I just throw it around on the ground.

#1845 - 07/22/02 11:45 AM Re: Another Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind of poultry house will be more suitable for Nigeria environment. and how can one make it [I mean the specimen]

#1846 - 07/22/02 06:42 PM Re: Another Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Lawrence-
See the answer from CJR listed under the topic "Poultry Housing in Lagos" and found in the Poultry Breeding/Genetics Section.
KariS.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn