Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18821 - 02/26/05 03:56 PM Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, I would like to thank all of you for the advice - for introducing new chickens to the current chickens.

Our chickens are backyard chickens and are our pets - they are so sweet and we adore them.

Our problem - is we did not realise one of our chickens has her beak broken it seems it has a lot taken off - we believe someone had already trimmed the beak - but too much.

Our concern is she is not eating properly and always hungry - the others push her away and she seems to sit on her own a lot - we are so worried about her, as she is so beautiful and gentle.

We do watch over her trying to ensure she eats. However, does not eat while we watch. The good news is she eats out of the garden as she roams around - but I we believe she eats a little food the chicken food but not enough (think the food we have is to crushed for her to pick it up) - she is not very big and we want to help her.

How do we know if her beak is sore? Or is she in Pain and discomfort?
Please help us to help our Pet
Should we keep her in the hen house with bigger pellets for a day?

By the way I have added some pictures of our darling chicken when I went to take them she was own her own digging in the garden I can say they are not hurting her (the other chickens) but she does feel left out she is now the precious one who needs us as her guardian.

Sorry cant add the pictures do not know how - if you would like to see them please let email them or tell me how to add the pics thank you again - we are desperate to help our friend.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Bella

#18822 - 02/26/05 04:46 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Hello Bella

Check your private messages by clicking on "my profile" at top left of page. I sent you my e-mail address so you can send pics. In order to post pics they need to already be stored online and have a web address. If they do we can help you creat a link that will put them in your post.

Bill L.

#18823 - 02/26/05 06:15 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

It looks like a debeaking. I have sent your pics on to a friend of mine for his opinion. I tried to post them on the web and link them to your post but I cant access my own photo album. Darn internet! Great when it works.

She may just be having peck order issues. Keep a close eye on her, if the others start to bully her too much you may need to remove her. It will be harder to return her later though. Aside from the beak she looks good. Nice color in her comb and wattles, feathers and eyes are bright. Eating may be an issue for her. Pellets would be easier. If she hasn't been eating she may feel weak and that would cause her to stay her distance from the flock also. Her beak has been that way for some time so I doubt she is having any pain with it now.

Bill L.

#18824 - 02/26/05 06:39 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Bill thank you so much for the information.

I will buy some bigger pellets tommorrow can not today as it is sunday - I would love to hear what your friend thinks to. Thanks for the advice Yes we will keep an eye on her - I think your right she is a bit weak but healthy any other Food suggestions I could give her.

Thanks again

#18825 - 02/26/05 06:54 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

If your feed store has poultry vitamins to add to their drinking water I would get some. I like to use it during times of stress. Gives their systems a boost. If you cant find any vitamin mix, cod liver oil is great. Put a teaspoon full on a slice of bread. I will let you know if I learn anything more.

Bill L.

#18826 - 02/26/05 07:00 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Bill is that for the chicken with the broken beak - Mum said she has been eating the crushed shell is that ok for her. I will go in 10 minutes and buy some cod liver oil and place it on bread for her - I will make the pieces big is that ok. I was told from the produce store bread is not good for chickens because of the yeast - but in a time of emergency - it is ok

Sorry to be a pain this is a learning experience for me and Mum

Thank you again

#18827 - 02/26/05 07:16 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Yes it is for the one with the short beak but all can have some if you want. Eating the shell is OK. The pieces shouldn't have to be too big, just enough so she can pick them up. A whole grain bread is best but any you have will be ok. Just feed it to her once a day for a few days. Its getting late over here so I am off to bed. I will check back in the morning. Best wishes!

Bill L.

#18828 - 02/26/05 07:21 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet dreams Bill I am on my way to but the cod liver oli thank you

will give you an update later

#18829 - 02/27/05 01:56 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are Bella's pics

#18830 - 02/27/05 03:23 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Bill

I have sent this in an email too

I got some cod liver oil however she dies not like it she seems to be eating Sunday afternoon I gave her rice and lentils which I boiled together she seems to love it. I bought some larger pellets and she does not like them. Mind you they were form the pet shop and I think they were old quality.

I am keeping a close eye on her but she seems to be eating also she is laying eggs yesterday she did lay one.

Weather here n Melbourne is very hot 34 degrees today.

Is the black and brown stuff on the top portion something on the beak or is that part of the beak itself?

I went to have a look could not really tell as she has food on her beak. I need to wait form mum she has gone to the shops and will not be back for a couple of hours I will email you and wait until tomorrow I hear from you.

However, she seems to love eating the soft gooey rice and lentils is that ok she was just eating it when I just checked on her. It seems all the bread is gone not sure if she ate though.

Thanks I will give you an update

Nadia

AFTER YOU MAKING THE COMMENT THE DEBEAKING DOES NOT LOOK NORMAL I HOPE NO HARM EVER CAME TO HER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2