Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18831 - 02/27/05 03:53 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
It will take her some time to like the pellets. The rice and lentils are ok but don't give her too much because she needs to eat the pellets or her other chicken food. You can mix some pellets with the rice and lentils and add a few drops of the cod liver oil. If she is laying eggs, that is a good sign! Only a healthy chicken can lay eggs. Maybe she just needs more time to adjust to her new life there. How long have you had her?

Free Range, Thank you for getting the pictures up!

Bill L.

#18832 - 02/27/05 04:12 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,

This will be the third week she has been here - she and her sister were the new chickens added to the two we already had.

This morning when I let her out - she was on her own under the cage and the other 3 were on top of the cage. What I mean is We have an old pet cage in there and the old ones like gettign on top and it is open and the others usually are on the bottom and can roam around.

I think you might be right getting used to the pecking order But she does seem left out at times but they do let her eat with her sometimes. I suppose I am over reacting but I dont want anything to happen to her.

How long can I give her the rice how many days - also I have a vegie mix and I think she likes the corn.

Thanks again

#18833 - 02/27/05 04:19 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,

This will be the third week she has been here - she and her sister were the new chickens added to the two we already had.

This morning when I let her out - she was on her own under the cage and the other 3 were on top of the cage. What I mean is We have an old pet cage in there and the old ones like gettign on top and it is open and the others usually are on the bottom and can roam around.

I think you might be right getting used to the pecking order But she does seem left out at times but they do let her eat with her sometimes. I suppose I am over reacting but I dont want anything to happen to her.

How long can I give her the rice how many days - also I have a vegie mix and I think she likes the corn.

Thanks again

#18834 - 02/27/05 05:15 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem.
smile

#18835 - 02/27/05 06:04 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

You can give her a little treat (rice, vegies and so on) each day for a week but be sure she is eating her chicken food also. Mix a few drops of the cod liver oil in her treats, it will be good for her. I think she will be ok with some time.

Bill L.

#18836 - 02/27/05 09:51 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bill,

I mixed some rice and cod and chicken food together she seems to be eating it - However she will not eat it on its own - meaning the chicken food - I think it might be hard for her to pick up where the rice is soft and in little glugs.

Anyway I went out the back and found her to be own her own - trying to find food - where the other others where down the side of the house. There is one chicken who seems to be the real boss but no real problem - we do watch her while she eats making sure she is eating enough.

My concern is I think she Just cant eat the normal chicken food as it is to hard for her to pick up and the rice makes it much easier for her. Will it matter if we feed her with rice and chicken food always or how else can I esnure she is eating the right nutrients.

Cheers

#18837 - 02/28/05 01:51 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Guys me again - Well the chicken seems to be good - eating which is a good sign. As mentioned in the last message she only likes to eat the Rice mixed with the Chicken food.

Will she be able to still lay eggs by eating rice - Also te other chickens are eating a little to but do prefer the dry chicken food to the one mixed with rice.

All the chickens do eat weeds and grass and insects out of the garden too.

Thanks again waiting to hear from you all.

#18838 - 02/28/05 03:35 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Chickens can be like people. They will eat what they like and not always eat what is good for them. Just like me smile Some rice is ok but her chicken food has all the nutrients she needs. I can understand that with her beak the way it is she may have trouble eating the chicken food. Here are some things you can try that might help her. You can mix some water with her food or even some milk. If you use milk be sure to make just a small amount that she can eat all at once. You don't want the milk to spoil in the heat. You can still mix the chicken food with rice and other good stuff but try to have her eat more chicken food than other stuff.

Is she more active since you have been feeding her?

Chickens are like people in another way. They sometimes don't get along with others. She may be happier on her own. With time she may start going with the others but may always be a loner. Time will tell.

Bill L.

#18839 - 02/28/05 04:06 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks again Bill she is seems to be more active while we feed her - I will mix food and water togethre - for her was wondering about the eggs will it effect her from laying eggs

#18840 - 02/28/05 04:35 PM Re: Chicken with Broken Beak Please Help our Pet
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

If she eats mostly her chicken food her egg laying shouldn't be affected.

Bill L.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2