Topic Options
#18878 - 06/23/05 08:34 PM tiny poo
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello,
One of my hens is having the smallest poos ever. They are like just a tiny drop sometimes! She has some that are a little bigger, but not much. What could be going on?

#18879 - 06/24/05 08:12 AM Re: tiny poo
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Sounds like she has some kind of growth or impaction inside her. The tumor would be blocking the intestine preventing the feces from passing out the body. An impaction or intestinal blockage can cause the same thing. Feed her mineral oil and try to loosen things up. Soak some grain or feed in the oil or even better put some in an eye dropper and put it down her gullet. Five ml should be enough. Give her that 3 times a day until you see the results. I would isolate her and cut way back on her feed. If her intestine ruptures she is a dead chicken.

My two cents

Tim Adkerson

#18880 - 06/24/05 09:00 AM Re: tiny poo
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the reply. She has been eating a lot of seeds lately (as a treat from a woman who lives here) , the only thing new in her diet. Could this be part of the problem?

#18881 - 06/24/05 01:54 PM Re: tiny poo
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Chickens have a part of the stomach called a gizzard. It is the job of the gizzard with the help of small rocks to grind up the seeds. Seeds are normal food for my chickens they even eat whole kernals of corn. Seeds should not be a problem.

Tim Adkerson

#18882 - 06/24/05 04:10 PM Re: tiny poo
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmm. Thank you. She's doing quite well, other than her tiny poop. I will keep watching. You know, it has been very hot, and she is not eating as much. I wonder if that is the problem? Color and consistency of the poo is normal, it's just small.

#18883 - 06/26/05 07:39 AM Re: tiny poo
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I have seen this come and go. I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't appear distressed. Feed her some live culture yogurt.

Bill L

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2