Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18924 - 07/03/04 08:47 PM scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just (today) got the most BEAUTIFUL 4 year old golden laced whianndote from a friend who has some evil, malicious roosters that ride their hens hard. This girl was hiding in the coop, and didn't leave the house much for dust baths or anything. The conditions, while not terrible, were not really very sanitary, mostly because these birds were for eggs and food, rather then pets like mine. This lovely chicken's toenails were so long from walking on nothing harder than straw that they reached about an inch each and started to curl! I sort of rescued her, even though they have good enough conditions that I was willing to give them my roosters, from the wrath of the evil white rock roos and the dirty coop with 50+ bird's poo in it. Now, as soon as I got her home I cut her nails, so she could comfortably roost with my other chicks, and I noticed that her feet and legs were what could only be described as "hoary". The scales were stiff and larger than normal, and some of them seemed a bit raised. I looked this up in a book, and it mentioned that this was a symptom of scaly leg mites.
Now to my question: I have a very small flock of 4 birds, in ideal conditions. They live in a large, dry, well ventilated coop with roost space and a good sized run, and have full run of the yard during the day, when they can eat grass and weeds to their hearts desire. They have at least 5 different dust-bath spots, and I know that they all take at least one a day (they love it when I dig up the soil for them and allow them to fluff around!) If this bird lives in this healthy environment for a few weeks, will her feet get better? Will whatever she has spread to the other birds? Is there something that I need to do about this? Or is this just something that happens to aging birds who haven't been on their feet in a while? confused

#18925 - 07/03/04 08:56 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, that sounds just like leg mites. they make the scales on the Chickens legs stand up like you said. I have never had any of my Chickens have mites of any type, but I do know that they will spread to your other Chickens. what you should do is probably get some mite dust stuff and dust all of your Chickens, as they probably already have mites now too. hope this helped.

#18926 - 07/03/04 09:55 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If there is some crusty white stuff between the raised scales, it surely is Scaley leg mites. But dust will not get up in the cracks, it takes an oily liquid to do the job. Some people use stuff as awful as crankcase oil. I used Campho-Phenique, applied from an eyedropper, holding the legs and feet upright and letting it drip down the toes and legs up to the feathering, so it will run into every crevass and "snuff" the mites, which are exceedingly small and must be smothered by the oil. If a light case, one treatment will do the job and it smells clean! It will spread to your other birds from the roosts, mainly, so watch them. No need to treat something you do not have--but watch for it! Good luck with your rescue bird! CJR

#18927 - 07/06/04 03:49 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can I use Ivomectrin to get rid of them without having to smear her legs every day? I've already done 1 coat on her legs, and it got all over her feathers. If I can, how does one give chickens medication orally?
Also, I've read that they can infect her beak and wattles too... do you know how her wattles would be affected?

#18928 - 07/06/04 04:11 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I've just done a bit of research, and there's so many ways to get rid of these pests! Have you ever heard of permethrin? One site said that spraying the birds with it would get rid of all mites. Another site had this suggestion:
"Now for a little extra tip, which I have only discovered recently, I've tried this and it really works well. If you buy a bird with really bad scaly leg, get some Protocon ointment. Protocon is a sticky yellow sulpher based ointment sold for use in horses. Slaver this stuff all over the birds legs, work it in well. Then wrap some paper tissue around the birds legs. Then, cover this paper tissue with duck tape, use it as a sticking plaster. (The paper tissue will act to stop the duck tape getting unsticky and is nicer for the bird) leave the bird with the plaster on for 1 week to 10 days. After this gently remove the plaster and tissue, you will find the scabs usually come off fairly clean. You may have to repeat the process but I have been astonished at how well this has worked."

Does this sound like it would work? Is it worth trying?

#18929 - 07/06/04 04:16 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CVT Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
You may want to try and find a product called SCATT. It's a topical moxidectin dewormer. I've had great success with it for all kinds of parasites in my birds, and a local wildlife rehabber has started using it for debilitated raptors. I found mine at 2sistersaviary.com. I wouldn't use permethrins or pyrethrins on my birds unless I was willing to throw away all the eggs for a while. They can be very toxic. Has anyone else tried SCATT?

#18930 - 07/08/04 03:38 AM Re: scaly leg mites
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Plunker, if you try the Protocon ointment method, I'd love to know the results. It's not the killing of the scaly leg mites that I found much of a problem, but getting the legs clean from the scaly mess can be a hassle. One rooster I bought, after 2 years, still had terrible scales on his legs, yet no mites for years.

I would “guess” that kerosene for the lamp is different to paraffin oil. Is the kerosene fuel for the lamp very smelly? I personally can’t handle the strong smell! Paraffin oil is rather odourless, a clear liquid. It’s also used for scale insect control on plants (eg White Oil).

#18931 - 07/08/04 07:35 AM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I list Campho-Phenique every now and then for Scaleyleg mites. I would never use any of the heavy greasy, smelly, dirty ointments or crankcase oil on my birds. (Had Silkies when I first encountered the mites--what a mess on the feathers Vaseline made!!) You just cannot get it under every scale, airpockets allow the mite to live!
While Campho-Phenique is only suitable for small flocks, or individual birds, the application is easy, one treatment for mild cases is all that is required. It does not stain, smells clean, and scales on birds return to normal in a very short time--even in severe cases when several treatments are necessary, legs will look good again. (it will not replace nails or toes lost to the mites!) If applied with a glass eyedropper to feather legged birds, you can drip it right on the leg and toes, drop at a time and let it seep under the scales, and not on the feathers. One person can do it, holding the bird under your arm with legs up. You do not need to get it all over yourself as with those greasy substances!!

I use it to clean and shine legs for Show birds and sometimes do it for an older bird being shipped. I have had no Scaleyleg mites for years, but keep the bottle of Campho-Phenique handy--just in case! CJR

#18932 - 07/09/04 07:13 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

We got a couple new birds with leg mites. I smeared their legs and feet liberally with "bag balm" (an ointment originally for cow's teats but used by some as a hand cream). I made sure to rub it in gently but thoroughly. I only did it twice and their legs are all cleared up now. Good luck!

#18933 - 07/10/04 09:09 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

The campho phenique is probably the best Thing recomended on this thread. It is similar to a product called VetRx which lists leg mites as one of the things it is used for as well as what CJR suggested to put a polish on show birds. The campho may be cheaper...depends on where you live.
Sally

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2