Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#18944 - 07/16/04 04:45 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok guys, I'm going to apply the campho phenique today. I've been holding off until the weekend, because I'm unsure how long it will take. I hope this works!

#18945 - 12/19/04 07:05 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I have been doing some research on scaly leg mites and have tried a few different methods with varying degrees of success.

Latest product I am trying:

Scarlet oil spray wound dressing

Scarlex®: Soothing, slow-drying antiseptic dressing for minor surface lesions, surface wounds, cuts, burns and superficial dermatitis. Contains scarlet oil and P-Chloro-M-Xylenol, a powerful germicide. Non-irritating; helps relieve itching and aids in rapid healing. 5 oz. non-fluorocarbon aerosol.

I thought that it might be good because it is oily and the spray lets you get right into the cracks and things... also because it is also germicidal, I thought it might kill the bleepin things. (err mites, not the girls)

Has anyone had any success with this product or any ideas on the pros and cons of it?

Also reading here about scarring I am a little concerned. A year ago we were given a beautiful little wheaten ameraucana bantum whom I adore. Unfortunately she had a bad case of the leg mites. With treatment and the likes, she now has no scales. Will they ever regrow? I am not so worried about her "looks" as her leg defence.

#18946 - 02/11/05 12:50 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tea Tree Oil?
A couple of my girls have had leg mites, one was particularly bad. I've used some mite stuff from the vets before with limited success.
I've used permethrin spray (from pet shop for budgie mites) and massaged in vasaline. Also limited success.
I think the mites are gone but the scales still look bad its so difficult to tell.
Another web site suggested Tea Tree oil which I found at the feed store and I also found Tea Tree ointment for horses.
Anyone else tried this?
Dolly

#18947 - 02/11/05 04:51 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You can put a drop or two of tea tree oil, or peppermint essential oil, in some cooking oil....whatever kind you have. Use just enough to scent the oil as too much will burn.(irritate the skin) I put the cooking oil (scented) in a sun screen squirt bottle and hold the bird with legs upsdie down ..drizzling oil as I go. Let it seep under the scales and you're done...set the bird back on the roost and do the next one. One treatment gets most, two for the real bad ones that you missed last time. There are always a few hiding in the rafters that you miss, so keep a bottle in the barn and nab those ones when you put out water. Even real bad ones look a whole lot better in a week, and the second dose fixes thing up well.

#18948 - 02/12/05 04:39 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jocelyn
Thanks for the reply,
I think I can use my oil without further dilution as it is already in a diluted form for livestock in a handy pump action spray, and says it sooths stings.
Upside down to get under the scales sounds a good idea

I'll let you know how I get on.
Dolly

#18949 - 06/02/05 01:07 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tim

I tried without success to get Campho-phenique (if CJR uses it, it has to be good!) Does anyone know where we can get it in UK?

I opted for dipping the legs in surgical spirit, then rubbing in vaseline. It works, but you have to keep doing it once a week for a few weeks. I would be interested to hear what other people are using.

Good luck

Kelly

#18950 - 06/04/05 05:18 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Tim, Campho-phenique is best ... but Vicks Vaporub works too (can't get the Campho-phenique in Belgium), just rub it in real good, and repeat 2 or 3 times first week, than once a week for 3 or 4 weeks. Good luck!

#18951 - 06/04/05 09:09 AM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My Campho-phenique bottle is out at the chicken house, when I find it, I will give you the formula on the label and your chemist can make you a similar potion. It is mainly a light mineral oil with camphor +, (I can't remember)--will find it for you. It is the light oil that will seep under the scales. Vicks and other greasy ointments, even vaseline, are messier and still can leave air pockets that may not snuff all the teeny mites until you apply it a number of times, CAmpho-phenique works with one application on most cases, except the worst. CJR

So glad to hear from you Anny--will be in Holland in Jan 06--hope to see you, if you can't come here?? I will write!!!!

#18952 - 06/07/05 03:13 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The Campho-phenique pkg lists: Active Ingredient: Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%.
Inactive ingredients: Eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil. Certainly the light mineral oil alone would help, but the added ingredients are apparently deadly to the ScLeg Mites.

Used to get a 12oz bottle for about 2 pounds sterling, and now a 1 1/2 oz bottle costs about 3 pounds sterling. A very little goes a long ways. Hold legs UP and let the oil flow down, drop by drop, into all the cracks of the scales from toes to hock. It is clean, doesn't stain, smells good, and it not so hard on feathered legs and toes, if you apply with an eyedropper right at the surface.

It would not be suitable for large flocks--but I hope you never allow a flock to be infected with the mites!!!!

First application for light cases is all that is required. Scales do not look bad after treatment, except in worst cases, they may not recover attractive surface, but improve with time.

Your chemist can mix it for you. I have not had a case of Scaley leg for more than 15 years, and never did anything except treat every leg and foot that showed the slightest infection, for several years. None of the greasy, dirty applications cleared the mites and had to be repeated time and time again--still not all gone!!

Same pens, same roosts, even some old same old birds! Good luck, CJR

#18953 - 06/10/05 07:39 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi People,

We have a rooster (called fluffy) whom we rescued- silkie he suffered with a bad dosage of scale leg mites - I mean bad legs were deformend and toes missing. I took the advice of Sandy (using kerosense and linseed oil) my fellow aussie and it did wonders.

Also I smothered his legs wth paw paw ointment similar/same as Campho-phenique but in an ointmentment form and it is ediable

I have been doing this everyday and have done this for the last two weeks. he has improved so much and now runs a around and 97% of the scabs are off.

It hurts me to see how people could allow him to get this bad. I am so angry with people like this I am the ones who do not care.

I am sorry to say it seems he had lost a toe and this upset me. But now as he is in my hands while I am nusering him to recovery he will get well and happy.

I have not put him in with my hens as yet and he is still isolated I was wondering when can I do this.

Oh one other thing I am sorry CJR I did get messy with ointment and kerosene and linseed mix on his feathers - I do understand what you where trying to say. But he is better and I plan to give him a little wash and blow dry him clean once I feel he no longer needs a lot on his legs to kill the mites.

By the way this is my first rooster and here in Melbourne in the town it is illegal to have a rooster. So far I have pleaded with the neighbours stating he needs to be rescued. He is not very loud which is good and makes little noise and none in the day. I think he is an older one to. The good thing is We let him sleep in the laundry at night and make it dark and let him distrub us in the moringing hoping the sound does nt travel outside to peoples houses.

The good thing is, Now as he comes out of his shell he starts to sing his thing in the morning not for long only when he heres the girls.

Thanks people for listening and Please to all those people who have roosters or chickens with scale leg mites make sure you help them as they do suffer from the pain.

My fluffy is so happy he can walk again and he does know we helped him and he allows us to help him each day.

Bella

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2