Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18924 - 07/03/04 08:47 PM scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just (today) got the most BEAUTIFUL 4 year old golden laced whianndote from a friend who has some evil, malicious roosters that ride their hens hard. This girl was hiding in the coop, and didn't leave the house much for dust baths or anything. The conditions, while not terrible, were not really very sanitary, mostly because these birds were for eggs and food, rather then pets like mine. This lovely chicken's toenails were so long from walking on nothing harder than straw that they reached about an inch each and started to curl! I sort of rescued her, even though they have good enough conditions that I was willing to give them my roosters, from the wrath of the evil white rock roos and the dirty coop with 50+ bird's poo in it. Now, as soon as I got her home I cut her nails, so she could comfortably roost with my other chicks, and I noticed that her feet and legs were what could only be described as "hoary". The scales were stiff and larger than normal, and some of them seemed a bit raised. I looked this up in a book, and it mentioned that this was a symptom of scaly leg mites.
Now to my question: I have a very small flock of 4 birds, in ideal conditions. They live in a large, dry, well ventilated coop with roost space and a good sized run, and have full run of the yard during the day, when they can eat grass and weeds to their hearts desire. They have at least 5 different dust-bath spots, and I know that they all take at least one a day (they love it when I dig up the soil for them and allow them to fluff around!) If this bird lives in this healthy environment for a few weeks, will her feet get better? Will whatever she has spread to the other birds? Is there something that I need to do about this? Or is this just something that happens to aging birds who haven't been on their feet in a while? confused

#18925 - 07/03/04 08:56 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, that sounds just like leg mites. they make the scales on the Chickens legs stand up like you said. I have never had any of my Chickens have mites of any type, but I do know that they will spread to your other Chickens. what you should do is probably get some mite dust stuff and dust all of your Chickens, as they probably already have mites now too. hope this helped.

#18926 - 07/03/04 09:55 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If there is some crusty white stuff between the raised scales, it surely is Scaley leg mites. But dust will not get up in the cracks, it takes an oily liquid to do the job. Some people use stuff as awful as crankcase oil. I used Campho-Phenique, applied from an eyedropper, holding the legs and feet upright and letting it drip down the toes and legs up to the feathering, so it will run into every crevass and "snuff" the mites, which are exceedingly small and must be smothered by the oil. If a light case, one treatment will do the job and it smells clean! It will spread to your other birds from the roosts, mainly, so watch them. No need to treat something you do not have--but watch for it! Good luck with your rescue bird! CJR

#18927 - 07/06/04 03:49 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can I use Ivomectrin to get rid of them without having to smear her legs every day? I've already done 1 coat on her legs, and it got all over her feathers. If I can, how does one give chickens medication orally?
Also, I've read that they can infect her beak and wattles too... do you know how her wattles would be affected?

#18928 - 07/06/04 04:11 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I've just done a bit of research, and there's so many ways to get rid of these pests! Have you ever heard of permethrin? One site said that spraying the birds with it would get rid of all mites. Another site had this suggestion:
"Now for a little extra tip, which I have only discovered recently, I've tried this and it really works well. If you buy a bird with really bad scaly leg, get some Protocon ointment. Protocon is a sticky yellow sulpher based ointment sold for use in horses. Slaver this stuff all over the birds legs, work it in well. Then wrap some paper tissue around the birds legs. Then, cover this paper tissue with duck tape, use it as a sticking plaster. (The paper tissue will act to stop the duck tape getting unsticky and is nicer for the bird) leave the bird with the plaster on for 1 week to 10 days. After this gently remove the plaster and tissue, you will find the scabs usually come off fairly clean. You may have to repeat the process but I have been astonished at how well this has worked."

Does this sound like it would work? Is it worth trying?

#18929 - 07/06/04 04:16 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CVT Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
You may want to try and find a product called SCATT. It's a topical moxidectin dewormer. I've had great success with it for all kinds of parasites in my birds, and a local wildlife rehabber has started using it for debilitated raptors. I found mine at 2sistersaviary.com. I wouldn't use permethrins or pyrethrins on my birds unless I was willing to throw away all the eggs for a while. They can be very toxic. Has anyone else tried SCATT?

#18930 - 07/08/04 03:38 AM Re: scaly leg mites
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Plunker, if you try the Protocon ointment method, I'd love to know the results. It's not the killing of the scaly leg mites that I found much of a problem, but getting the legs clean from the scaly mess can be a hassle. One rooster I bought, after 2 years, still had terrible scales on his legs, yet no mites for years.

I would “guess” that kerosene for the lamp is different to paraffin oil. Is the kerosene fuel for the lamp very smelly? I personally can’t handle the strong smell! Paraffin oil is rather odourless, a clear liquid. It’s also used for scale insect control on plants (eg White Oil).

#18931 - 07/08/04 07:35 AM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

I list Campho-Phenique every now and then for Scaleyleg mites. I would never use any of the heavy greasy, smelly, dirty ointments or crankcase oil on my birds. (Had Silkies when I first encountered the mites--what a mess on the feathers Vaseline made!!) You just cannot get it under every scale, airpockets allow the mite to live!
While Campho-Phenique is only suitable for small flocks, or individual birds, the application is easy, one treatment for mild cases is all that is required. It does not stain, smells clean, and scales on birds return to normal in a very short time--even in severe cases when several treatments are necessary, legs will look good again. (it will not replace nails or toes lost to the mites!) If applied with a glass eyedropper to feather legged birds, you can drip it right on the leg and toes, drop at a time and let it seep under the scales, and not on the feathers. One person can do it, holding the bird under your arm with legs up. You do not need to get it all over yourself as with those greasy substances!!

I use it to clean and shine legs for Show birds and sometimes do it for an older bird being shipped. I have had no Scaleyleg mites for years, but keep the bottle of Campho-Phenique handy--just in case! CJR

#18932 - 07/09/04 07:13 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

We got a couple new birds with leg mites. I smeared their legs and feet liberally with "bag balm" (an ointment originally for cow's teats but used by some as a hand cream). I made sure to rub it in gently but thoroughly. I only did it twice and their legs are all cleared up now. Good luck!

#18933 - 07/10/04 09:09 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

The campho phenique is probably the best Thing recomended on this thread. It is similar to a product called VetRx which lists leg mites as one of the things it is used for as well as what CJR suggested to put a polish on show birds. The campho may be cheaper...depends on where you live.
Sally

#18934 - 07/11/04 08:52 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel kind of silly asking this, but what's campho-phenique?

#18935 - 07/11/04 03:43 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
By liquid parafin, do mean the stuff we call kerosene? (AKA lamp oil)
I don't know all that much about hens (yet), but I do know that liquid parafin is not the same as kerosene. Liquid parafin is a clear non-toxic oily liquid, sold as a remedy for constipation (in humans). My grandmother used to take it!

#18936 - 07/11/04 04:21 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Campho-Phenique? Ask for it at your Drug Store--little green bottles (used to come in 8oz green bottles that lasted for years of chickens!). But it only takes an eyedropperful to treat most feet and legs. CJR

#18937 - 07/11/04 04:51 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Cyngbaeld Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I think you must be talking about 'mineral oil' then. That makes a lot more sense to me. Thanx

#18938 - 07/12/04 01:16 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
It's an oily ointment that is for canker sores and/or fever blisters. I assume that it has enough oil base to smother the mites along with a medicated base to sooth the discomfort.

I'm I right? :rolleyes:

#18939 - 07/15/04 04:12 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

You have not tried "everything", if you have not used Campho-Phenique? One treatment for light cases, another, maybe two more a week apart for severe cases. And that is all! It is clean, smells nice and DOES THE JOB without the heavy oils or greases, and messing up of feathers. And it leaves the legs healed and looking good again, except in the worst cases, some scarring will remain. Actually, these mites are not "highly" infectious, and while all birds should be inspected, not all birds will have them, even roosting together. But if they remain on one bird, it will become worse and worse--cause loss of toes, must be ghastly painful and can eventually cause death by the crippling. CJR

#18940 - 07/16/04 06:54 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Hi

Campho-phenique®
Pain Relieving Antiseptic Liquid

Campho-phenique Pain Relieving Antiseptic Liquid is for the temporary relief of pain and itching associated with minor burns, sunburn, minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites or minor skin irritation.
It protects against the risk of infection in minor cuts, scrapes and burns.
It soothes scrapes, abrasions, razor nicks, chafed or irritated skin, minor burns, cuts and blisters as well as itchy bites from chiggers, mosquitoes, sand fleas and black flies.
It is also effective for cold sores/fever blisters.

Sandy

#18941 - 07/16/04 07:02 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

This is how I treat any birds that I get or have with Scaly leg mite

I mix up half kerosene and half raw linseed oil
I get myself a small paint brush and paint their legs once a week for 4 weeks
Then I paint them once a month for 3 months, by this time they are dead and gone... no withholding period using this method

They may fall off the bird during treatment and can live on the coop floor for 30 days before reinfecting another bird.

That is why I continue to treat once a month for 3 months

Kerosene in Australia is a blue liquid they use in outdoor lanterns

Liquid Parafin is a clear white liquid which is oil based and not the same as Kerosene here in Australia

You can use the Moxidectin. it will kill the Scaly leg mite... see if you can get the one they put into the water that way you won't have to handle the birds at all, it will treat internal and external parasites for approximately 2 months... they say 3 but I have never found it to last them long.. withholding period applies

Ivermectin is best used as a dropper form on the back of the neck of the chickens... depending on which one you use as to the strength of it... but be very careful it is very strong and can kill if used improperly... once again it treats internal and external parsites for approximately 3 months... withholding period applies

Sandy

#18942 - 07/16/04 07:09 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

If you want to know the active ingredients in Campho Phenique

Active Ingredients:

Camphorated phenol (4.7% phenol and 10.8% camphor in light mineral oil).

Inactive Ingredients:

eucalyptus oil

light mineral oil

So what this is saying is that the oil is stopping the the Scaly leg mite from breathing and smothing it

Light mineral oil = Baby oil

Sandy

#18943 - 07/16/04 12:03 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

The heavy crusts of bad cases of Scaley Leg mite infection will peel off and raw areas can result. Those cases may not have nice scales again as the base cells may have been destroyed by the mites. But they will be mite-free.

You can use ANY of those greasy things that will snuff the mites. But do you like the dirt that sticks to it--and to your hands applying it? Does it really melt under the scales? Mineral oil by itself is a little heavier than the Campho-Phenique and doesn't flow as easily, leaves more on the outside of the scales, but if you can apply it with an eyedropper--legs upside, it will do the job. You can wipe off the excess. You want it UNDER the scales, Heavy greases do not reliably fill under the scales. Any air pockets will not allow the mites to be killed.

Campho-Phenique used to be very inexpensive, is no longer, so is not suitable for large flocks that might be infected. It is the perfect answer to small flocks or the few birds that many people on this site, keep. It is also a treatment for the injury to the legs caused by the mites and will promote healing. Crank case oil will kill mites, but I do not want the dirty stuff on my chickens legs--on their feathers, in the nests or anyplace in the poultry house!

But whatever you use, it must soak the scaley deposit and get under the scales. Campho-Phenique does this reliably with just one treatment for very light infected cases. Whether "dirty" or "clean" products, whatever works for you--just do help your birds that are in pain with those mites! CJR

#18944 - 07/16/04 04:45 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok guys, I'm going to apply the campho phenique today. I've been holding off until the weekend, because I'm unsure how long it will take. I hope this works!

#18945 - 12/19/04 07:05 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I have been doing some research on scaly leg mites and have tried a few different methods with varying degrees of success.

Latest product I am trying:

Scarlet oil spray wound dressing

Scarlex®: Soothing, slow-drying antiseptic dressing for minor surface lesions, surface wounds, cuts, burns and superficial dermatitis. Contains scarlet oil and P-Chloro-M-Xylenol, a powerful germicide. Non-irritating; helps relieve itching and aids in rapid healing. 5 oz. non-fluorocarbon aerosol.

I thought that it might be good because it is oily and the spray lets you get right into the cracks and things... also because it is also germicidal, I thought it might kill the bleepin things. (err mites, not the girls)

Has anyone had any success with this product or any ideas on the pros and cons of it?

Also reading here about scarring I am a little concerned. A year ago we were given a beautiful little wheaten ameraucana bantum whom I adore. Unfortunately she had a bad case of the leg mites. With treatment and the likes, she now has no scales. Will they ever regrow? I am not so worried about her "looks" as her leg defence.

#18946 - 02/11/05 12:50 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tea Tree Oil?
A couple of my girls have had leg mites, one was particularly bad. I've used some mite stuff from the vets before with limited success.
I've used permethrin spray (from pet shop for budgie mites) and massaged in vasaline. Also limited success.
I think the mites are gone but the scales still look bad its so difficult to tell.
Another web site suggested Tea Tree oil which I found at the feed store and I also found Tea Tree ointment for horses.
Anyone else tried this?
Dolly

#18947 - 02/11/05 04:51 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You can put a drop or two of tea tree oil, or peppermint essential oil, in some cooking oil....whatever kind you have. Use just enough to scent the oil as too much will burn.(irritate the skin) I put the cooking oil (scented) in a sun screen squirt bottle and hold the bird with legs upsdie down ..drizzling oil as I go. Let it seep under the scales and you're done...set the bird back on the roost and do the next one. One treatment gets most, two for the real bad ones that you missed last time. There are always a few hiding in the rafters that you miss, so keep a bottle in the barn and nab those ones when you put out water. Even real bad ones look a whole lot better in a week, and the second dose fixes thing up well.

#18948 - 02/12/05 04:39 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jocelyn
Thanks for the reply,
I think I can use my oil without further dilution as it is already in a diluted form for livestock in a handy pump action spray, and says it sooths stings.
Upside down to get under the scales sounds a good idea

I'll let you know how I get on.
Dolly

#18949 - 06/02/05 01:07 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tim

I tried without success to get Campho-phenique (if CJR uses it, it has to be good!) Does anyone know where we can get it in UK?

I opted for dipping the legs in surgical spirit, then rubbing in vaseline. It works, but you have to keep doing it once a week for a few weeks. I would be interested to hear what other people are using.

Good luck

Kelly

#18950 - 06/04/05 05:18 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Tim, Campho-phenique is best ... but Vicks Vaporub works too (can't get the Campho-phenique in Belgium), just rub it in real good, and repeat 2 or 3 times first week, than once a week for 3 or 4 weeks. Good luck!

#18951 - 06/04/05 09:09 AM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

My Campho-phenique bottle is out at the chicken house, when I find it, I will give you the formula on the label and your chemist can make you a similar potion. It is mainly a light mineral oil with camphor +, (I can't remember)--will find it for you. It is the light oil that will seep under the scales. Vicks and other greasy ointments, even vaseline, are messier and still can leave air pockets that may not snuff all the teeny mites until you apply it a number of times, CAmpho-phenique works with one application on most cases, except the worst. CJR

So glad to hear from you Anny--will be in Holland in Jan 06--hope to see you, if you can't come here?? I will write!!!!

#18952 - 06/07/05 03:13 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

The Campho-phenique pkg lists: Active Ingredient: Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%.
Inactive ingredients: Eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil. Certainly the light mineral oil alone would help, but the added ingredients are apparently deadly to the ScLeg Mites.

Used to get a 12oz bottle for about 2 pounds sterling, and now a 1 1/2 oz bottle costs about 3 pounds sterling. A very little goes a long ways. Hold legs UP and let the oil flow down, drop by drop, into all the cracks of the scales from toes to hock. It is clean, doesn't stain, smells good, and it not so hard on feathered legs and toes, if you apply with an eyedropper right at the surface.

It would not be suitable for large flocks--but I hope you never allow a flock to be infected with the mites!!!!

First application for light cases is all that is required. Scales do not look bad after treatment, except in worst cases, they may not recover attractive surface, but improve with time.

Your chemist can mix it for you. I have not had a case of Scaley leg for more than 15 years, and never did anything except treat every leg and foot that showed the slightest infection, for several years. None of the greasy, dirty applications cleared the mites and had to be repeated time and time again--still not all gone!!

Same pens, same roosts, even some old same old birds! Good luck, CJR

#18953 - 06/10/05 07:39 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi People,

We have a rooster (called fluffy) whom we rescued- silkie he suffered with a bad dosage of scale leg mites - I mean bad legs were deformend and toes missing. I took the advice of Sandy (using kerosense and linseed oil) my fellow aussie and it did wonders.

Also I smothered his legs wth paw paw ointment similar/same as Campho-phenique but in an ointmentment form and it is ediable

I have been doing this everyday and have done this for the last two weeks. he has improved so much and now runs a around and 97% of the scabs are off.

It hurts me to see how people could allow him to get this bad. I am so angry with people like this I am the ones who do not care.

I am sorry to say it seems he had lost a toe and this upset me. But now as he is in my hands while I am nusering him to recovery he will get well and happy.

I have not put him in with my hens as yet and he is still isolated I was wondering when can I do this.

Oh one other thing I am sorry CJR I did get messy with ointment and kerosene and linseed mix on his feathers - I do understand what you where trying to say. But he is better and I plan to give him a little wash and blow dry him clean once I feel he no longer needs a lot on his legs to kill the mites.

By the way this is my first rooster and here in Melbourne in the town it is illegal to have a rooster. So far I have pleaded with the neighbours stating he needs to be rescued. He is not very loud which is good and makes little noise and none in the day. I think he is an older one to. The good thing is We let him sleep in the laundry at night and make it dark and let him distrub us in the moringing hoping the sound does nt travel outside to peoples houses.

The good thing is, Now as he comes out of his shell he starts to sing his thing in the morning not for long only when he heres the girls.

Thanks people for listening and Please to all those people who have roosters or chickens with scale leg mites make sure you help them as they do suffer from the pain.

My fluffy is so happy he can walk again and he does know we helped him and he allows us to help him each day.

Bella

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2