Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18934 - 07/11/04 08:52 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel kind of silly asking this, but what's campho-phenique?

#18935 - 07/11/04 03:43 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
By liquid parafin, do mean the stuff we call kerosene? (AKA lamp oil)
I don't know all that much about hens (yet), but I do know that liquid parafin is not the same as kerosene. Liquid parafin is a clear non-toxic oily liquid, sold as a remedy for constipation (in humans). My grandmother used to take it!

#18936 - 07/11/04 04:21 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Campho-Phenique? Ask for it at your Drug Store--little green bottles (used to come in 8oz green bottles that lasted for years of chickens!). But it only takes an eyedropperful to treat most feet and legs. CJR

#18937 - 07/11/04 04:51 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Cyngbaeld Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I think you must be talking about 'mineral oil' then. That makes a lot more sense to me. Thanx

#18938 - 07/12/04 01:16 PM Re: scaly leg mites
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
It's an oily ointment that is for canker sores and/or fever blisters. I assume that it has enough oil base to smother the mites along with a medicated base to sooth the discomfort.

I'm I right? :rolleyes:

#18939 - 07/15/04 04:12 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Offline
Coop Master

You have not tried "everything", if you have not used Campho-Phenique? One treatment for light cases, another, maybe two more a week apart for severe cases. And that is all! It is clean, smells nice and DOES THE JOB without the heavy oils or greases, and messing up of feathers. And it leaves the legs healed and looking good again, except in the worst cases, some scarring will remain. Actually, these mites are not "highly" infectious, and while all birds should be inspected, not all birds will have them, even roosting together. But if they remain on one bird, it will become worse and worse--cause loss of toes, must be ghastly painful and can eventually cause death by the crippling. CJR

#18940 - 07/16/04 06:54 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
Hi

Campho-phenique®
Pain Relieving Antiseptic Liquid

Campho-phenique Pain Relieving Antiseptic Liquid is for the temporary relief of pain and itching associated with minor burns, sunburn, minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites or minor skin irritation.
It protects against the risk of infection in minor cuts, scrapes and burns.
It soothes scrapes, abrasions, razor nicks, chafed or irritated skin, minor burns, cuts and blisters as well as itchy bites from chiggers, mosquitoes, sand fleas and black flies.
It is also effective for cold sores/fever blisters.

Sandy

#18941 - 07/16/04 07:02 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

This is how I treat any birds that I get or have with Scaly leg mite

I mix up half kerosene and half raw linseed oil
I get myself a small paint brush and paint their legs once a week for 4 weeks
Then I paint them once a month for 3 months, by this time they are dead and gone... no withholding period using this method

They may fall off the bird during treatment and can live on the coop floor for 30 days before reinfecting another bird.

That is why I continue to treat once a month for 3 months

Kerosene in Australia is a blue liquid they use in outdoor lanterns

Liquid Parafin is a clear white liquid which is oil based and not the same as Kerosene here in Australia

You can use the Moxidectin. it will kill the Scaly leg mite... see if you can get the one they put into the water that way you won't have to handle the birds at all, it will treat internal and external parasites for approximately 2 months... they say 3 but I have never found it to last them long.. withholding period applies

Ivermectin is best used as a dropper form on the back of the neck of the chickens... depending on which one you use as to the strength of it... but be very careful it is very strong and can kill if used improperly... once again it treats internal and external parsites for approximately 3 months... withholding period applies

Sandy

#18942 - 07/16/04 07:09 AM Re: scaly leg mites
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

If you want to know the active ingredients in Campho Phenique

Active Ingredients:

Camphorated phenol (4.7% phenol and 10.8% camphor in light mineral oil).

Inactive Ingredients:

eucalyptus oil

light mineral oil

So what this is saying is that the oil is stopping the the Scaly leg mite from breathing and smothing it

Light mineral oil = Baby oil

Sandy

#18943 - 07/16/04 12:03 PM Re: scaly leg mites
CJR Offline
Coop Master

The heavy crusts of bad cases of Scaley Leg mite infection will peel off and raw areas can result. Those cases may not have nice scales again as the base cells may have been destroyed by the mites. But they will be mite-free.

You can use ANY of those greasy things that will snuff the mites. But do you like the dirt that sticks to it--and to your hands applying it? Does it really melt under the scales? Mineral oil by itself is a little heavier than the Campho-Phenique and doesn't flow as easily, leaves more on the outside of the scales, but if you can apply it with an eyedropper--legs upside, it will do the job. You can wipe off the excess. You want it UNDER the scales, Heavy greases do not reliably fill under the scales. Any air pockets will not allow the mites to be killed.

Campho-Phenique used to be very inexpensive, is no longer, so is not suitable for large flocks that might be infected. It is the perfect answer to small flocks or the few birds that many people on this site, keep. It is also a treatment for the injury to the legs caused by the mites and will promote healing. Crank case oil will kill mites, but I do not want the dirty stuff on my chickens legs--on their feathers, in the nests or anyplace in the poultry house!

But whatever you use, it must soak the scaley deposit and get under the scales. Campho-Phenique does this reliably with just one treatment for very light infected cases. Whether "dirty" or "clean" products, whatever works for you--just do help your birds that are in pain with those mites! CJR

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2