Topic Options
#19192 - 02/02/04 02:09 PM Winter picking, please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would appreciate any help you can offer. My chickens are driving each other nuts and pecking like crazy. I live in the northern half of Minnesota and they haven't been able to be out much because we have had sub-zero temps for the last couple of weeks. I have red lights in the coop and put a straw bale in yesterday hoping they would peck that instead of each other. What is happening is that last week I noticed some bright red blood drops in the house, then in the nesting box(es). A couple of the chickens had bloody, bare behinds. One of the hens turned up dead on Saturday night and two others were butchered on Sunday because of the extensive bleeding. Is this what I think and caused from pecking? Is there anything else it can be? This is just breaking my heart, so I would appreciate any help. If I should smear some kind of grease on the bare spots, what would I use? Sorry if I sound panicky, but I feel really bad. They are eating and drinking fine and their stools look normal. When they lay, sometimes there is more blood, I suppose from the pushing. Thanks, Sue confused

#19193 - 02/02/04 02:21 PM Re: Winter picking, please help!
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Go to poultry managment and search for winter boredom . Pine Tar is most recomended for putting on pecked areas to stop additional pecking. Pine tar can be found at most feed store and TSC. Its a hard habit to break. Best of luck to you!

Bill

#19194 - 02/24/04 02:48 PM Re: Winter picking, please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

minnmel..I've been in that feather picking situation myself. I can't tell you how to cure it but it will help if you clip the birds beaks (flat across)

#19195 - 02/27/04 02:44 PM Re: Winter picking, please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by minnmel:
I would appreciate any help you can offer. My chickens are driving each other nuts and pecking like crazy. I live in the northern half of Minnesota and they haven't been able to be out much because we have had sub-zero temps for the last couple of weeks. I have red lights in the coop and put a straw bale in yesterday hoping they would peck that instead of each other. What is happening is that last week I noticed some bright red blood drops in the house, then in the nesting box(es). A couple of the chickens had bloody, bare behinds. One of the hens turned up dead on Saturday night and two others were butchered on Sunday because of the extensive bleeding. Is this what I think and caused from pecking? Is there anything else it can be? This is just breaking my heart, so I would appreciate any help. If I should smear some kind of grease on the bare spots, what would I use? Sorry if I sound panicky, but I feel really bad. They are eating and drinking fine and their stools look normal. When they lay, sometimes there is more blood, I suppose from the pushing. Thanks, Sue confused

#19196 - 02/27/04 02:45 PM Re: Winter picking, please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It sounds like you may have too many birds in too small a space. Hens will peck at each other and destroy eggs if they're too confined. Can you move a few of them to another spot to give them all some more room?
The bleeding sounds like they may be busting their bottoms laying eggs that are too big? I've heard of this happening...

#19197 - 02/27/04 05:05 PM Re: Winter picking, please help!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
How many birds in what size area? Do you have any indication of who might be the culprit? It could be one bird doing most of the pecking. Definitely get pine tar -- it is messy so use something to apply it, like a popcicle stick.

But if you can identify the culprit(s), that is who I would butcher or at least separate until the harsh winter is over. I don't have to deal with sub-zero temps here, but I'd wonder about opening that coop on a sunny day regardless of temperature with the problems you're having. I know my birds, on really cold days, stay out for a few minutes and then come back in to get warm and then back out, etc. I'd let them have the room before I'd let this go on. Just my thoughts. I mean, you might risk a little frostbite on a rooster comb, but if they have *access* to the shelter of the coop, I doubt you'd end up with a dead bird!

I hope you are able to resolve this. I'm sure it's upsetting and frustrating.

Susie

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2