Topic Options
#19435 - 06/17/07 12:48 PM Splayed leg and closed flocks
No Place Like Home Offline
New Egg

Loc: Wisconsin
A year ago, I turned some friends on to chickens and they often come to me with questions about their birds that I can't answer. Here is one of them. Yesterday they had a Buffy hatch one baby. She is a very tender and excited mom, but the baby has a splayed leg and it appears it won't be able to walk. Can anything be done?

On a related note, they wondered if they could have a couple of my babies that are 4 days old. With all the recommendations coming from USDA on bio-security and keeping a closed flock, I told them I didn't think it was a good idea. Comments on closed flocks?

#19436 - 06/17/07 01:38 PM Re: Splayed leg and closed flocks
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Quick, go to: www.rockingTranch.com/spraddle.html

The addition of a chick or two that a hen did not hatch herself, is hazardous to the babies. You know, they know their own babies before they hatch (as the peep in the shell is conversation to the mom). Strangers MAY be accepted, but not a good risk. In confusion, a hen my kill her own.

As for bio-security with poultry, it is always good to consider, and be overly cautious. CJR

#19437 - 06/18/07 02:18 AM Re: Splayed leg and closed flocks
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
if the chick is the same colour, breed and age as the rest and it is within the first few days a hen may take the chicks when put under it at night. the chicks need to respond to the mother as well. however watch them for the first day or 2 for rejection especially at first light on the first couple of days. if the hen starts to reject the chicks (ie pecking at them) or the chicks try to run away (happens if the hen is a different colour) you maybe introuble.

if the hen is offered a favourite food such as wet bread and she calls her chicks to eat and they respond and if she appears not to notice the new ones then things are looking good.
k.

#19438 - 06/18/07 02:19 AM Re: Splayed leg and closed flocks
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
ps if the hen is on a nongrip surface like newspaper then you can have problems with chicks with splayed legs. need to be on hay.
k.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2