Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19468 - 05/27/07 10:10 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
it may be to late for treatment, dont let it go on to long, it really sounds like she is suffering.
if she does not look better in a few days i would start thinking about puting her down.
It is such a sad thing to do for us, but we must think of the chickens and their quality of life first. is it fair to let them suffer so much because we cant or dont want to let them go?
good luck, and please report if you do get her better.

#19469 - 05/28/07 06:33 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
She has remained the same. Still unable to really 'stand'---kind of just sits back on her hocks if you know what I mean. She is able to stand if she really wants to and is eating up a storm. I am still hopeful. She does not seem like she is suffering per se, especially since she is eating. I think animals let you know when they are really ready to go, and I have to tell you, she really doens't seem like she has gotten there yet. I will keep you posted, of course. I don't know what else to do for her but am still open to suggestions......

#19470 - 05/28/07 08:24 AM Re: Hen wasting away
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Marek's Disease takes different steps and her symptoms, while not classical, do resemble Marek's. Just keep her fed and comfortable. Marek's has no pain,just frustration, and appetite usually remains, but weight loss may continue. Rarely is there improvement, but it can happen. Sorry, CJR

#19471 - 05/29/07 04:27 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

I wondered about that. I thought perhaps that it could be Mareks--especially with her lack of coordination. I will see what happens. CJR--good to see you! Thanks for your response and input as always. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Monica

#19472 - 05/30/07 11:36 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a rash of chickens going paralyzed in the legs many years ago. I must have lost about 4 out out of 12 chickens. I talked to a vet and they suggested it could be a vitamin B deficency. The first several birds we had already destroyed, but the last of the batch with symptoms I fed crushed up B complex vitamins in her feed and she actually recovered. I don't know why my birds had a problem with this, as they were being fed a "complete feed" but to this very day I will occasionally crush up B vitamins and give it to them in some table scraps as a treat to hopefully prevent any future paralysis. I originally thought it was some dreaded disease. Has anyone else ever heard of this? My chickens had good appetites too. I don't recall if they had much weight loss, but I'm sure they did as they were too weak in the legs to walk around. I think the vet called it "curled toe paralysis." Probably not what your chicken has if her feet look normal but I doubt it would hurt to give her some vitamins.

#19473 - 05/31/07 04:35 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Htul Offline
Coop Keeper

Others would probably be better able to comment on this, but does chronic wasting like this fit with low grade aspergillosis infection?

#19474 - 05/31/07 04:59 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

I will look into the vitamins--thanks for the heads up. She is really deteriorating and I think I will be taking her to the vet today to put her to sleep. I have done a bunch of searches on how to euthanize humanely, and can't find anything that really suits me. I have a friend who says that using ether is a good way to go, but ugh! I just don't want to kill her. Poor Penny!

#19475 - 05/31/07 02:25 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Today was Penny's worst day. I have decided to euthanize. Does anyone have experience with using Ether? Thanks, Monica

#19476 - 05/31/07 08:46 PM Re: Hen wasting away
David W. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Missouri
I'm the guy that posted smelly hen but didn't get a reply. After reading the post I'm concerned that maybe it is something like what is being described here. My hen does have runny poo and is limping around. I thought they were vacinated at birth but maybe they didn't and just said they did... frown

I'm going to try the vit. B also and move the pens. Maybe that will help her as well. Would you guys suggest seperating her from the rest of the flock?

Dave

#19477 - 06/17/07 02:33 AM Re: Hen wasting away
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

i suspect mereks disease too. along with many other manifeatations 'going light' is one. some birds will recover. narrow pale faces is a good early sign. however mereks is not always a death sentence. you learn on some birds which you may loose. however when you have sucesses it really makes up for it.
k.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2