Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#19478 - 06/18/07 04:59 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
I had to put Penny to sleep last week. It was really sad, but I just did not feel like she was getting any better, and she just wouldn't die on her own! I hated doing it, but her life was awful--she could barely even move--even though just her legs were paralyzed. I gave her plenty of time and then used Ether to kill her. It went quickly and seemed to be less traumatic than other methods, but they always seem to go with a struggle. I did not feel like she wanted to 'go', but I had to make a decision......

#19479 - 06/25/07 05:01 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Shoofly, don't beat yourself up about it. This is the hardest part of raising these birds. Without an end to the suffering, her quality of life would have dropped and you would have felt horrible for allowing her to suffer for so long. I'm proud of you for being able to put your gains aside to allow little Penny to finally relax and be comforted. It is hard, and many of our best "friends" are euthanized before they go of natural causes.

It is definately hard, but a necessary part of raising any animal. Letting go is one of the hardest parts and you have done an excellent job. You let her go in the most peaceful way you could think of and I am proud that you were able to make the decision based on what was best for Penny. Good job, but unfortunately, it doesn't get any easier with more that have to be put down. Each has a special place and you will remember them all. But, when you remember them, remember also that you made them comfortable when nobody else could.

Hope my words helped, but you will feel better about it in time. You'll still miss her, but the pain dulls in time.

Mikaela

#19480 - 06/27/07 05:48 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Mikaela--

Thanks so much...The hardest thing was making the choice. After that, I felt better because I just knew she was not enjoying life the way a chicken should. I had a hard time trying to figure out the most humane way to end her life, and the ether just seemd like the most peaceful. How do you do it?? I would not be able to use ether on one of the bigger birds as they do struggle somewhat.

Thanks again for all of your support. I hate it when any of my birds go, but it is a part of life and owning animals.......

Monica

#19481 - 06/27/07 10:09 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
For me, I use a .22 bullet to the head. The bird feels nothing and sees nothing. I can't stand to use anything else on my birds alone. There is a drug that can be injected into the bird's vein in the wing and the bird literally falls asleep. It is deadly to us, but only the most experienced people should use it. I am just now learning to use it because if I even scratch myself with the needle I could get it in my system and a trip to the emergency room would be in order.

As for the farmer, ether is probably one of the most humane ways other than a bullet. If I were to go either way I would prefer the bullet. I have accidentally inhaled CO2 from a CO2 tank that is used for smaller birds and I tell you...that stuff HURTS! At least I learned to never breathe while reaching in the tank! I would say that ether would at least alleviate any pain the bird may experience. (Kind of like sniffing spray paint...you get all woozy and can't feel anything.)

Hopefully you're feeling a bit better,

Mikaela

#19482 - 06/27/07 05:44 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Hahaha! Well, I never thought of the bullet for some reason....I have a .45 so I think that would do the trick---The police would probably be coming around too!! smile

What is the drug you use in the vein?? It costs me 50$ to put a chicken to sleep at the vet, and it was really dramatic (they inject into the brain so it was AWEFUL!) but I really think that is the best way.

the ether was actually not bad--she struggled just a bit, but it was after a minute or two and I think she was probably feeling woozy like you said. After that, it went really quickly. Still, I cried my eyes out. Poor girl! Anyway, it needed to be done.

I am fine with it now. The following day, I was sore about it, but she was a chicken, and she was really ill, and she wasn't getting better. Its fine. I wouldn't want to do it every day, nor would I want to do it to my favorite hen, but it is the way it has to be. By the 3rd day, I was at peace with it.

Anyway, its been fun chatting. I see you on the forum all the time! I know you have had your share of tragic stories and hard decisions to make as well.Thanks for your help and advice and kind words! I really appreciate it!

Monica

#19483 - 06/27/07 10:44 PM Re: Hen wasting away
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
If I remember rightly, the drug vets use commonly for euthanasia is Sodium pentatholbarbiturate. In low doses it is used for anesthesia, but in high doses it causes cardiac arrest and it seems a pretty humane way to dispatch sick animals.

I used to work for the SPCA years ago, and that was the chosen way to put down unwanted stray cats and dogs. The inspectors used to use chloroform which is much worse than the sickly sweet ether.

It was a horrible job for an animal lover like me to get involved with, so I didn't work there for too long.

Sorry about the little hen though. We do all have to make those tough decisions sometimes.

#19484 - 06/28/07 12:45 AM Re: Hen wasting away
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Good Morning Monica,

Quote:
It costs me 50$ to put a chicken to sleep at the vet, and it was really dramatic (they inject into the brain so it was AWEFUL!) but I really think that is the best way.
Strange, our vet used to inject into the breast (Brahmas) or leg (Bantams) of the bird. Until we learned how to put the bird out of his misery for ourselves we had to pay 80 EUR (=104 USD!) per euthanasy.

I hope the rest of your flock is alright and best greetings,

Joachim

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2