Topic Options
#19490 - 05/16/09 06:33 AM Intestinal problem...
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Something is running through my flock that causes listless birds and and very dark poop which I can see stuck to the bum of the birds. Not one for medicating often, is there a medication to try for intestinal problems? Most get it over the feeling bad in a few days but they all still have the strange poop.

#19491 - 05/16/09 10:51 AM Re: Intestinal problem...
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I do not know what the problem might be. But whenever I suspect a gut problem that is not acute, I put a splash of apple cider vinegar in their water. I realized just now that I cannot explain why I do this, just some idea I have that it's good for the gut. I DO know that it aids the absorption of calcium so it's good for bone development and helping with strong egg shells.

If the birds are looking sick and listless and there is blood in the poo, I use a homeopathic cocktail for coccidiosis. But for less alarming but noticeable gut problems, I reach for apple cider vinegar. Others use yogurt in the water which is also good for gut culture. Good luck.

#19492 - 05/16/09 04:17 PM Re: Intestinal problem...
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Something else you might want to try...Garlic. It supposedly has been used for years to fight bacterial infections so...? I had some chicks that looked off a bit and I added just a bit of minced garlic with a little garlic juice to their water and they perked up after a couple of days. Just a thought. I don't think it will hurt them even if it doesn't help them.

#19493 - 05/27/09 11:36 AM Re: Intestinal problem...
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Thanks, been having computer problems and couldn't post for a bit. Appreciate the advice and think will try the yogurt first.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2