Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19518 - 05/14/05 05:39 AM Drunken Rooster??
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Well, I know this sounds crazy, but I have a rooster that is about 5 years old. He came to me recently and is a magnificant creature! I have noticed that in the mornings and sometimes during the day, he is very wobbly on his feet. In the morning in particular, sometimes he will take afew steps sideways to the right or left (just as though he were drunk!) and will often fall over with one wing outstreched as though to catch himself. (!!)
He does not really do this every day...and he always rights himself immediately and walks normally afterwards. Its like a little episode! He eats and drinks normally, has not gotten into any foods or poisons that would harm him, and the two hens he is with constantly are just fine. Otherwise, he is a healthy, crowing-at-all-hours, beautiful dude--but I really wonder if he has some kind of neurological issue or arthritis or something. Or maybe he is sneaking out of the coop to hit the local bar in the middle of the night...... :p

Any insight would be great! Thanks....Monica

#19519 - 05/14/05 07:00 AM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Anonymous
Unregistered

It may be something neurological, maybe his mind is a little unstable some days. I'm not sure, someone else on the boards might know...

#19520 - 05/14/05 07:50 AM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
that sounds funny. wouldnt want him to fall off a high roost at night though, that could be serious.
never seen this except for what mareks can do and your bird is 5 so is kind of outside that dieseases reach...maybe ear mites...does he eat, drink, normal and his droppings normal? if you pick him up does he feel skinny?

#19521 - 05/14/05 09:26 AM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Yes, its very strange. He does not have a high roost to fall from thank goodness but I have seen him come down the little ramp that leads up to the roosting area ass over tea kettle once or twice. He eats, drinks, poops, crows, and does all other roosterly activities completely normally. I have caught him (and let me tell you, when the sucker doesn't want to be caught, he has NO balance issues at all!) quite afew times and looked him over--he is very nicely plump and beautifully feathered. His eyes are clear and alert. His feet are in perfect shape--no damage there. Other than the occasional stumble/fall, he seems like a normal, healthy chicken. I have NO idea what his deal is. I suppose I shouldn't worry. Maybe he is just a clumsy guy.....!

#19522 - 05/14/05 09:50 AM Re: Drunken Rooster??
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Marek's Disease can show symptoms slowly, although usually comes on fast with younger birds. I have lost 3 and 4 year old birds to Marek's. It is an infection in the nerve tissue, usually, and can appear in a number of forms, paralysis being the most common one that we see, but many other forms that we do not see. Since there is no treatment or cure, just keep a watch on your bird. Sudden death is Marek's legacy. Good luck, CJR

#19523 - 05/14/05 05:28 PM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sounds to me like he is strutting and is just a bit clumpsy about it. Is he usually around you or one of the hens when he does it? When a rooster struts he sorta does a circle around the hen (or you) with his wing hanging down to the ground. It sorta looks ot me like the rooster is trying to corral the hens when he does it. I hope this is the case.

#19524 - 05/15/05 08:24 PM Re: Drunken Rooster??
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
I may be completely on the wrong track here and so may not be relevant but ... I used to have a rooster that would literally trip over his own spurs. As he walked his (large-ish) spurs would overlap and he would have to lift each one over the other each step. Most of the time he would be fine, but every so often something would happen, his spurs would entangle themselves and he would stumble. This never really seemed to bother him and he would continue with life. It may be possible that your rooster is 'tripping' on his spurs also.

David

#19525 - 05/16/05 02:12 PM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Sounds to me like the Rooster Dance...Wing down, side step...

#19526 - 05/16/05 03:26 PM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Well, i hope it isn't Marek's, but I will keep an eye on him....that would be very sad, but he does not seem to suffer right now so at least thats a good thing.

As far as his coralling the hens--no, its definitely not that, unfortunately! (I call that the 'rooster dance'--its as though he is square dancing, I am always amused!) He can just be standing doing nothing and will just get wobbly and take afew side steps to right himself...just like a drunk.

And I will watch him more closely with the spurs...I don't think thats it either, but it can't hurt to pay attention and see if he is just getting caught up. He may just be a very clumsy rooster! Lets hope so!

Thanks for everyones help. Leave it to me to have the wonky rooster! M

#19527 - 05/17/05 07:24 PM Re: Drunken Rooster??
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Well, he is still stumbling. I have been watchinghim very closely as per these discussions. He is by far the worst in the morning. This morning for instance, he fumbled around and fell several times. Then he was absolutely fine for the rest of the day. This afternoon, he took a little snooze in the driveway with the hens. He was relaxing for about 15 minutes. When he got up--same thing.....stumbling, wobbly, very unsure on his feet. He didn't get tangled up in his spurs at all, he is just very unbalanced. After the initial uncertainty on his feet, he goes about his business as usual. It breaks my heart to see him when he falls backwards or to the side....Any other advice on what to do or if this is Marek's for sure?? Thanks...Monica

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2