Topic Options
#19557 - 07/08/03 02:10 PM REDNESS
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
hi my buff brahama rooster has redness under the feathers on his legs it is not sore and he just goes about normal is this normal

#19558 - 07/09/03 02:18 PM Re: REDNESS
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Not being familier with that breed I cant say for sure. My roo (a Dominique) has some red on his legs. His rear is bright red under the feathers. Not sure what thats about either confused but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Bill

#19559 - 07/09/03 06:59 PM Re: REDNESS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same deal here. Several of my laying hens have redness on their bottoms and bellies. None of my bantams which I keep in nice breeder cages in a temperature controlled environment have this problem.

I just did the semi-annual de-miting of house and hen not long ago so I know my ladies have no mites and they otherwise are doing fine (considering it is 95 freakin' degrees outside with 90% humidity!!!) laugh I think some of it is where they rub their feathers off when roosting and some of it may have to do with moulting, I know most of my ladies have been progessively moulting for about 2 months now.. they look kinda rough. As long as it isn't mites and it doesn't hurt, I wouldn't worry. smile

#19560 - 07/09/03 07:57 PM Re: REDNESS
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
Redness right along where the feathers come into the leg on a featherleg breed is common. There are blood vessels there that feed the feathers, & if you look, it looks like there is a extra bit of skin that the feathers are actually attached to. No porblem, perfectly normal

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2