Topic Options
#19615 - 01/13/10 03:59 PM Crooked Toes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have approx 200 up and coming chicks of varying ages. I've noticed that approx 10 have toes that are curling inward and in some cases back toward the body. All the chicks have been hatched using a model 1588 Hovabator with electronic thermostat.

#19616 - 01/13/10 06:54 PM Re: Crooked Toes
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sometimes genetic. Sometimes late hatch can prevent toes from straightening naturally. Can be straightened if done when just a few days or so old--taped in position-only takes 3-5 days. But once the bones are hardened, nothing can be done. Too bad, not for breeding or sale. For Fryers, no matter. CJR

#19617 - 01/14/10 08:14 AM Re: Crooked Toes
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
I would not tape them. You might forget and include them in the gene pool. The fact that some have it and some don't show you which, combined with other factors, have the genetic propensity to reproduce crooked toes. Just my opinion. If you do tape them, you should toe punch them for identification later.
1st John 5:11-12

#19618 - 01/14/10 09:22 AM Re: Crooked Toes
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No one can guarantee what chicks will grow up to be--type, variety pattern, quality. Yes, we all learn by doing and that is never a bad thing--if if doesn't include disease!
Purchasing a good trio of 6 mos to a year olds won't cost more than raising a couple of hatches of unknown eggs--or watching day old chicks grow into ?? and you will save TIME--maybe several seasons. And what do you do with the misfits (unless they are a breed you can put in the freezer IF you are prepared to do the deed!)

Start from today--and set your goals. (then add up the pennies--wait if you must). Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2