Topic Options
#19673 - 07/30/09 05:30 PM prolapse
Heather Offline
New Egg

Loc: New Hampshire
Hi Does anyone have any ideas on caring for a chicken with a prolapse? We started with the hemorrhoid cream, but don't know what else to do and how to prevent this from happening again. Please help

#19674 - 07/31/09 03:24 AM Re: prolapse
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Honey or sugar...
Apply a thick coat of warmed honey and wait for it to draw the swelling. When the tissue shrinks, after about a half hour or so, you can push it back in. It may not stay in at first, so when it pops out again, recoat with honey and replace it. You can make sure the hen has lots of oyster shell too, as lack of calcium makes it harder to lay. Is she very plump? Sometimes being very fat makes it harder to lay an egg too. it tends to pop out if she has been straining for quite a while.

#19675 - 07/31/09 08:47 AM Re: prolapse
Heather Offline
New Egg

Loc: New Hampshire
Thank you I will try that. She isn't a plump bird but she tends to lay extra large eggs.

#19676 - 08/03/09 06:57 PM Re: prolapse
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
My hen prolapsed recently. I tried everything - preparation H, honey, sugar - everything. I tried to push it back in myself for about a week. It never would stay in. So, I took her to my local vet who pushed it back in and sewed her up with a loose stitch so she could still poop. He removed the stitches 4 days later. So far, she is doing well...but I am watching her. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2