Topic Options
#19752 - 02/21/05 08:18 AM Rooster died this morn.
TWT Offline
Feather

Loc: Virginia
This morning shortly after I let all my birds out for the day, one of my two Aussie roosters layed down and died. Looking back I can see that he may not have been "normal". Often, when I would go collect eggs in the evening he would be sleeping on the floor of the coop. During the day I noticed that he would lay down and eat or appear to just lay down to rest for a while.
Over the last month or so his willingness to remain at the #2 position of my three roos as well as his interest in the hens was not evident.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this?

Thanks,

-TWT

#19753 - 02/21/05 02:21 PM Re: Rooster died this morn.
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Sorry but thatís just not much to go on. Chickens do their very best to never show weakness so if they seem just a "little" off it usually means something is seriously bothering them. How old was he?

Bill L.

#19754 - 02/21/05 02:31 PM Re: Rooster died this morn.
TWT Offline
Feather

Loc: Virginia
He was 9 months old. Those times when he would
"lay down" I could go outside and he would hop right up and come over to me. So I guess I never suspected anything was wrong. I just thought it was his personality.

-TWT

#19755 - 02/21/05 04:52 PM Re: Rooster died this morn.
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Extra friendly and gentle chickens are sometimes that way because they are ailing-- maybe just not as active as other chickens, easy to pick up at any time without resistance, coming to you instead of to flock members (that might treat him badly, if he cringed around them)--but it is hard to say. Without doing a necropsy, you cannot know what was going on inside, that never shows, tiny tumors, organs infected, but no other symptoms except the quietness, before death. It is too bad, sorry--CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2