Topic Options
#19980 - 06/28/05 08:03 PM please help-ears full of junk!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi again, I have been posting lately about my mysterious chicken ear problem. Her ears are swollen and full of yellow, spongy stuff that I've been cleaning out every day. She's been on antibiotics, now I have vitamins & electrolytes in her water, but she's not drinking or eating much. She just wants to hide with her head down and her eyes closed most of the day. I would love to hear your input, it is going on weeks now she's had this problem. Thanks so much. She's also moulting, which I think, is not helping.

#19981 - 06/28/05 08:12 PM Re: please help-ears full of junk!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
This may sound odd, but have you been using a cotton swab, or have you been using alcohol drained into the ear. I think the alcohol drained into the ear would work much better and may loosen whatever is causing the spongies to grow. I'm sure other people have the solution to it, but this was just a hopeful guess. It may work, and it may not.

#19982 - 06/28/05 08:46 PM Re: please help-ears full of junk!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I have been using a cotton swab, and Betadyne - Vet's suggestion. She says it will kill any germs or fungus that may be in there. She didn't know anything else, she'd never seen it before! Thanks for your reply.

#19983 - 06/28/05 10:27 PM Re: please help-ears full of junk!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Wait...is the spongy stuff runny? or is it just there? I am actually having the same problem with MY ears. I have lost hearing and it was all due to a sinus infection. It's not growing out of my ears, but it has caused some of the lining of my eardrum to burst and reseal. Very painful process. you may want to see about sinus infections.

#19984 - 06/28/05 10:33 PM Re: please help-ears full of junk!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. Yeah, the spongy stuff is the bird equivalent of pus. The vet said that birds don't have the enzymes to break it down into a liquid. It could also be ear wax, which I doubt, I believe it is infection related since her ears are so swollen. It is so weird, and her nose and mouth are totally normal. I would love to find a solution to this problem. . .

#19985 - 06/29/05 09:41 AM Re: please help-ears full of junk!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I don't think I would try oil treatments on her ears. Her eardrum may have already burst and it causes INCREDIBLE pain when you do the treatment like that. I can't rememeber what the solution was that the doctor prescribed for me..but could you use the equivilent? Swimmer's ear is sold at any drugstore i.e. Wal-Mart, Walgreens etc. It could possibly help and kill the infection or blockage causing the spongies.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2