Topic Options
#20063 - 05/30/07 08:34 AM Chicks with Dandruff?
Lifelong Learner Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
I have noticed that my Australorp and Orpington chicks have what looks like dandruff. I haven't found any bugs on them, but they roam around the yard quite a bit during the day, so they could have picked some up that I just can't find.

They are just a few weeks old and growing new feathers/losing down like crazy. Could the dandruff be a side effect? Other than that, they look great -- curious, bright-eyed, and alert. And they eat like crazy.

Thanks,

Angelle

#20064 - 05/30/07 08:45 AM Re: Chicks with Dandruff?
Lifelong Learner Offline
Chicken

I should also say that I live in New Orleans -- a very humid climate, so dry skin isn't usually a big problem down here.

--Angelle

#20065 - 05/30/07 09:24 AM Re: Chicks with Dandruff?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Normal. It is not dandruff, but normal "dander" and fluff. You should see the small room where I brood my baby chicks! Every inch of wall, ceiling, shelves, EVERY INCH is coated with dander. THere have been little chicks there, for a few weeks at a time, for the past 4 months. Soon, it will be warm enough for the last and younges, all to be out in the poultry houses. I have removed most everything else from the room, except the chick boxes and their feed and supplies, so complete cleanup is easier. Soon, it will be scrubbed from top to bottom and all the edges!!!
The poultry houses, are likewise, completely covered with fine "dust" inside. A nice sunny day, when all birds will be outside,--and windy-all windows open, the houses will get a real cleanout! Shop Vac, as well as sweeping, and then spray every inch with Oxine. Every bit of wire is coated--it is also cause of lung irritation and chronic cough for me. It is part of the chicken experience! Good luck, CJR

#20066 - 05/31/07 08:13 AM Re: Chicks with Dandruff?
Lifelong Learner Offline
Chicken

Thanks again, CJR.

--Angelle

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2