Topic Options
#2007 - 05/05/04 12:54 PM Specking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tried to run a search, never came up with anything.

Am curious if anyone has tried to resolve a feather picking problem by specking their birds. Since I did not find anything, I am wondering if people call it something different, or if people are staunchly opposed to the procedure.

The link below refers to them as peepers or blinders.

http://www.poultrysupplies.com/Index_files/page0008.htm

I have to leave town for 2 weeks in July and will have some inexperienced people tending my flock.

I am not sure if their schedules will allow them to let my birds in out out each day, tucking them in at night. As such, I am considering a 2-week lockdown in the coop, which is a lot less time than winter, but the feather picking is so consistant any more, that I worry about them bleeding each other.

If they do bleed each other, I can't expect these surrogate farmers to blu-kote or pine tar my birds, so am thinking that specking might be a preventative measure. Ideally, I'd speck'em before I leave, then remove the blinders when I return from my trip.

Any experience or insights would be greatly appreciated. I guess I worry that the procedure is pretty invassive (putting a plastic pin through their septum and all). Are there less traumatic products out there? etc. etc. etc.

#2008 - 05/05/04 03:10 PM Re: Specking?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I ordered some but never used them. One of my concerns was that they would get caught on something and do damage when the bird paniced. One other option you might concider is plastic beak clips. I've used them and they are easy to put on. However some birds can get them off. You also want to be sure they can pick up food with them on.

Bill

#2009 - 05/05/04 03:20 PM Re: Specking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bill. Know of any suppliers for the plastic beak tips?

#2010 - 05/05/04 04:35 PM Re: Specking?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/plastic_anti_pick_bits.html

Thier catalog has pictures of them.

Bill

I just checked out the site you posted and they have them at the bottom. Plastic bits.

#2011 - 05/05/04 10:38 PM Re: Specking?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I've never had to use the "glasses" or "specs", I know people that have, and say that they work very well.
My dad has told me that when he was growing up his family used them on an occasional problem chicken and that they worked well (made from metal in those days).
They don't cause the chicken pain and I personnaly prefer them to debeaking.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn