Topic Options
#20291 - 03/22/09 03:08 PM Rescued Rooster
Mumbles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
Just rescued a beautiful rooster. Found out he had been outside in a pen about 3'x3' with no heat and very little protection from the wind all winter. By the way we live in Michigan so very cold this winter. Anyway I stopped at the house I had seen the pet at in town today to see if they wanted to give him away. Needless to say once I saw his conditions I was taking him. Frost bit on tips of comb and waddles, also 2 toes on each foot. Outside toe on each foot is curled under a bit, the nail was very long, but not now I trimmed it the minute I got home with him. He is very very skinny and had no food or water that I could see. We have put Vaseline on his comb, waddles, and covered his feet in it. He is lock in the main coop where he can see our 9 bantams but not get to them. The coop is also heated. (our chickens are spoiled) He is a full size chicken a a beautiful red/orange. Have started him slowly on food and water. What else can I do to help him get better and adjust?

#20292 - 03/22/09 04:06 PM Re: Rescued Rooster
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You could switch to lard for the frost bite. When he gets some on his feathers by putting his head under his wing at night, or fluffing his breast feathers over his toes, he will end up eating it when he cleans his feathers. The added calories will help him. Vaseline won't, just goes right out the other end. Lard is gentle enough for a baby's bum too, so it will be kind to sore feet and combs.

#20293 - 03/22/09 05:45 PM Re: Rescued Rooster
Mumbles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
Good idea, I will get so tomorrow. We also have a vet who lives across the street and he has chickens. Since I will be at work mom is going to call him and see what he thinks will help too. I just got back from checking on him one last night tonight. He let me pet him for a long time and even came close and laid down next to me to snuggle a bit. My heart went out to him. For such a big boy he sure is sweet.

#20294 - 04/09/09 05:49 AM Re: Rescued Rooster
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
This is called closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. But might it be wise to isolate him for a while? Of course, if he's managed to survive all winter with such neglect, he must be one tough bird. Hope he isn't harboring anything which would spread to your other birds. - Kathy

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2