Topic Options
#20335 - 06/18/05 05:57 PM pale combs in broody hens
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if my 2 broody hens just aren't getting enough to eat and drink. They're both buffies and my non-broody buffies all have red combs. These broody ones have such PALE combs. So every day about twice a day I've been putting a handful of food in their nest with them (and they always eat it) and bring a bowl of juice or water for them (and they always drink it). We'll see if this makes a difference after a few days.

#20336 - 06/19/05 01:49 AM Re: pale combs in broody hens
Chook-in-Eire Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Ireland
Sunni Ten, it's quite normal for broodies to become a bit pale. They'll recover quickly afterwards. They usually get up off the nest once a day (escept for the last couple days before the hatch) to eat, drink, stretch, and to do one gigantic poo. There should be no need to feed or water them on the nest.
Since the broodie is with the chicks anyway, I let her eat the high protein chick feed too which tends to bring her around quite quickly. I've heard other people do the same.
No need to worry anyway.
chook

#20337 - 06/19/05 06:57 PM Re: pale combs in broody hens
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
We have no rooster so they'll be no chicks. I've had hens go broody for months. That's why I've been bringing my hens water and food. Kind of a nice thing to help them out!

#20338 - 06/19/05 10:07 PM Re: pale combs in broody hens
Anonymous
Unregistered

you could try getting your hens to stop being broody if you wanted maybe

#20339 - 06/21/05 02:48 AM Re: pale combs in broody hens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a broody hen whose comb went pale like that, so following the advice of others here I put her in a separate enclosure with no nesting material, only food and water. I discovered that she was infested with red mite - no wonder she was pale!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2