Topic Options
#20438 - 02/07/07 09:21 PM what looks like scabs
Bodor's Mom Offline
Feather

Loc: Virginia
A little gold hen has what look like scabs on her back. She was the one and only hen of a very big rooster. I noticed some of her feathers were broken where I'm sure he jumped her. She has hatched out seven peeps and is currently separated from the afore mentioned horny ol rooster. I noticed what looks like scabs in the area of the broken feathers. I'm assuming rooster scratched her and the places are healing. I'm wondering if there's a salve that can be applied to the scabs to help with the healing process. She isn't my little gold hen but I like her very much and would like to see her permanently separated from her abusive rooster and restored to her former beauty

#20439 - 02/08/07 04:30 PM Re: what looks like scabs
Cranberry Creek Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
I don't have the answer to your question but I'm curious, what breed is your rooster, what breed is your hen? If you don't know what type they are could you give me a discription.

Just curious.

Roman.

#20440 - 02/08/07 04:41 PM Re: what looks like scabs
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

We use bag balm. Where in Virginia. I live currently in Hampton but moving to Chase City.

#20441 - 02/08/07 07:32 PM Re: what looks like scabs
Bodor's Mom Offline
Feather

rooster is Americuna (sp?) and the little girl (I think) is a buff orpington (again sp?) I've never been introduced to a buff orpington except in pictures so I don't know for sure. She is a lovely light gold and kinda fluffy with a nice pink comb and beak. She is very sweet and can be loud when she's disturbed. The rooster was a saint as a bachelor but once aquainted with females has become kinda agressive to the other guys. There are three independent flocks--each in their own pens. Each day the flocks take turns wandering around. The rooster is a sweet guy and very friendly to people. He has other hens but he loves Meggie (little gold hen) the best and she WAS his one and only until she started brooding. I don't want to see her reunited with him if he's going to scratch her up again--then again the addition of more hens may keep his ardour down to a manageable level. I wonder if neosporin would help --but don't want to apply anything that isn't good for a chicken. I live in Richmond but my chickens live in Ashland now. I had them in my backyard for a long time but the neighbor with the dogs that bark day and night didn't like my rooster. Go figure.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2