Topic Options
#20574 - 04/18/03 12:52 PM END Comments
Long Feathers Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Hi All,

I have wanted to post something about this for a long time. There is no denying that we have all heard stories about atrocities that have come at the hands of the Task Force. Most of what I have read or have been told has been from the owner, who was understandably upset. None of us want our birds to be taken and killed. However, I have not seen many that were actually proven. Those that were proven were dealt with, including some TF staff being fired. I have also seen Dr. Ernst of UC Davis come back with a report on one such story that told of circumstances that justified the depopulation. These circumstances were not relayed in the story when it first came out.
I guess the point that I am trying to make is please be careful what believing what you hear or read, when you haven't had the opportunity to get the facts from both sides.

The 1-kilometer "dangerous contact zone" is one area that I have seen attacked. Maybe I am na´ve, but I have to assume that there was a reason that, that distance was set, and not just a number that was drawn from a hat. My question for those that question the legitimacy is "what distance would you set if you were faced with the responsibility of eradicating this disease, and what facts can you provide to back up your decision?". If the TF only dealt with cases of confirmed END, they would literally be chasing it and could never stop it from spreading. Now, on that note I would like to add "IF" an owner was able to prove that they have strict biosecurity practices in place, prior to TF visit (throwing a footbath out as the TF is walking up, doesn't cut it, lol), and their birds are healthy, then they should be marked as a "safe zone", and spared depopulation. But, and this is a very important "but", if there is even just one deviation from being a completely biosecure area, that negates the "safe area" status. This can include, but is not limited to, loose birds, uncovered pens, avenues of entry by wild birds, etc.

I also feel that until a "fast result" END test is available and approved, demanding that "all" birds be tested before euthanizing is an unrealistic request. I have heard anywhere from 7-14 days for the results of the test. In the meantime, you have a possible means of spreading the disease. It is extremely unfortunate that some birds may no doubt fall victim in the process, but how is the TF going to stop the spread without some extreme measures?

Cockfighting is another sensitive subject. While it is undeniably true that many cases have been traced back to a gamecock flock, they alone are not the sole source of the problem, and in my opinion have become the scapegoat for many. Birds and poultry of all types are being smuggled, or at least attempts are made to smuggle, out of and even "into" the quarantined zones. I have seen it on the Silkie (chicken) list, and just recently on another list, somebody right in one of the quarantined counties, stated flat out, that they had ordered some peacocks, and were going to sneak them in. First off, "yes" those posts were all reported to the authorities, but imagine what could happen if those birds were successfully smuggled in and happened to have contact with the virus.

I understand that these views are not going to necessarily be popular right now, and I am in no way saying that the TF should not be held accountable for their actions, good and bad, but just hope that everyone gets as many "facts" from both sides before forming an opinion.

For more information please join our END group on Yahoo at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/END-ExoticNewcastleDisease/

#20575 - 04/19/03 02:16 PM Re: END Comments
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Hello Longfeathers:
I do have a few things to add/respond to in your END message..
First of all, if they want to establish a 1 kilometer kill zone, so be it. But give the owners the right to have their birds tested! They have indeed developed a new test for END that gives results in 4-6 hours. Ralph Ernest knows this although he hasn't got full faith in it quite yet (let me qualify that: he didn't have full faith a couple of months ago - he may have become more comfortable with the test in the intervening time.) That's all many of us are asking....just give us the right to test our avians. Test with the speedy test first. At the same time take samples for the slower test. If they test negative with the speedy test, give the birds a reprieve until the slower tests results come in.
It's my understanding that the virus - if it's going to kill - will do so in 2 weeks.

As for the task force, I attended a taping of a public service announcement re:END with a board certified avian vet as well as other professionals in attendance. There were owners also at the taping who had had the task force depopulate their property. The tactics employed by the task force do not include full disclosure or following bio-security measure thenselves but do include taking advantage of a human being with a mental disability. I believe that these facts can and would be attested to under oath in a court of law.
Finally, there us another END group on Yahoo which I gave a link to in a previous message. It is monitored by persons who are rigorous in trying to keep unproven information off the site, who provide "incident" maps from the Task Force, and who are working very hard to get accurate information out to the rest of us. You can also find links on that site to photos of an actual depopulation at a private residence which document the Task Force's disregard for bio-security themselves.
Linda

#20576 - 04/19/03 05:04 PM Re: END Comments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Linda.. I hunted for the address of that END yahoo group but didn't find it. Could you post it again or private message it to me?

Thanks

#20577 - 04/19/03 11:15 PM Re: END Comments
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is now and always will be mucho BS on the internet. That is part of the price we pay for a free society. So, I agree with longfeather that only fools believe what they read on the web. It is very important that people think for themselves. If the web does anything that is truly good, it will be to train people to do their own thinking.

For almost a decade, we have been selecting our breeders based on, among other things, disease resistance. We simply do not breed a bird that has ever been sick. We now have a flock that is immune to Marek's and other pathogens. I even keep a couple of "typhoid mary birds" in our flock to insure a constant exposure to Marek's. Otherwise our flocks are closed.

Frankly, I don't believe it is possible, without massive effort as per polio, to erradicate a disease organism like exotic Newcastle disease. The solution to the problem appears when more breeders will breed for disease resistance. I would bet that our birds would not demonstrate any simptoms if exposed to the END virus.

If anyone reading this board is doing research on END resistance, I would be happy to donate some hens which I believe will be END resistant. Contact me. No crack-pots please.

#20578 - 05/07/03 11:09 PM Re: END Comments
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Henny, sorry it took me so long to respond..I've been out of town.

Here's the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/END-birds/

Lots of fabulous info about bio-security and the moderator makes a true effort to keep every thing on the site verifiable.
They are also gracious enough to tolerate just "listening" when some one has a discouraging experience.
Linda

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2