Topic Options
#20780 - 05/27/05 11:43 AM Cornish with injured leg
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a dark cornish hen that injured her leg last weekend. I believe she may have bumped it on a dog cage that I was using to try to incorporate new birds into the flock. Seems like it may be swollen above the knee joint. She puts no weight on it. I believe she may be eating and drinking okay, but not sure. She gets around a bit, but mostly sits. My question is how long do I wait to see if this will heal. At the risk of sounding awful, she is a meat bird and don't want to waste the meat if she won't get better. There are no avian vets around here and if she dislocated it I assume it won't heal anyway.

#20781 - 05/29/05 06:25 PM Re: Cornish with injured leg
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
Joyce

Sorry to hear about your problem. While I can’t really help you directly I did have a similar situation about a year ago and will relate my experience. One of our hens (a silkie cross) injured her leg, I think she ‘fell’ (read was pushed) off the perching area in the middle of the night – we head a thump. The following morning she was having trouble walking. While I never noticed any swelling, the symptoms were exactly what you are describing. We thought she had dislocated her leg at the hip joint. She was separated, provided with food and water and would hobble around a little. If taken outside she would dust bath a little but mostly she would just sit. She appeared to slowly improve and after about two weeks was fairly mobile and was doing ‘normal chooky’ things. (Chook is an Australian word for chicken.) Then a couple of weeks later she just died. I have no idea if her death was related to her injury but I have my suspicions.

My experience (have had similar injuries when my family kept chooks in the 70s) is that a hen will probably survive a dislocated leg particularly if separated, provided with food and water, and movement is limited. You will probably be able to raise your hen to a suitable size to ‘process’; she will simply eat, sit and sleep. The next issue will be quality of life, but the little I have read of cornish crosses she will probably be happy to sit and eat, not sure how you control weight gain and potential heart problems.

Hope this helps and best of luck with managing the injury.

David

#20782 - 05/31/05 08:31 AM Re: Cornish with injured leg
Anonymous
Unregistered

I watched her over the weekend. She seems to be about the same, maybe putting a "little" weight on the leg. She's not separated as of yet, she's getting along fine with the others and I don't really want to add stress to the situation. She's eating and drinking and socializing, but I'm not sure she's laying. My egg count went down all together the last week or so. Suspect the weather changes but not sure. Lost a blue andalusian last weekend as well. She died for some unknown reason. No time for necropsy, just buried her. I guess I'll just watch the cornish for awhile and kind of pay it by ear. As long as she eats and drinks, at least she'll still put on some weight. If I find she's not laying, I have over a dozen new chicks that should be laying around September.

#20783 - 06/03/05 12:13 PM Re: Cornish with injured leg
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still not bearing weight on that leg. Find her sitting on the roost alot. She does still go outside though. I assume she's still eating and drinking. I don't see anything wrong with her foot as far as sores, etc. Still waiting to see what happens.

#20784 - 06/06/05 07:41 AM Re: Cornish with injured leg
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good news! Checked her yesterday and she's walking on the bad leg. Must have been a time thing. She still limps a little, but her walk has improved and she had a full crop. Just to let all know that she's doing much better.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2