Topic Options
#20785 - 05/08/07 06:58 AM Chicken going bald
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
As a result of our prolonged and untreatable feather picking problem, some of our birds seem to be going bald. Meaning most of the birds keep trying to grow new feathers that are either picked out or worn off by roosters...Some of them however do not seem to be growing any new feathers. There are no holes in their skin were new feathers would grow out of. They actually have smooth, smooth skin (yes, like a babies butt) laugh Has anyone every heard of this?

#20786 - 05/18/07 08:02 PM Re: Chicken going bald
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, but to prevent pecking you may want to try a bitter tasting formula that you can by at feed suply stores that deters pecking, but you probably already tried that!

#20787 - 05/19/07 06:25 AM Re: Chicken going bald
Lora K. Offline
Feather

I know in parrots if they pick for a long time it will destroy the feather follicle and no feather will ever grow back, that's probably what happened to your chickens.

#20788 - 05/19/07 08:15 AM Re: Chicken going bald
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's possible. Feather picking is a bad habit. Sometimes they do it for a vitamin deficiency reason, but I've found that they mostly do it out of habit. My mother eventually had to start over to get rid of the problem. It can take a long time ti grow feathers back, so I wouldn't give up smile But you might want to start knitting little chicken sweaters for the long NH winter! LOL!

#20789 - 05/19/07 08:42 AM Re: Chicken going bald
Lora K. Offline
Feather

I have read that feather picking becomes an addiction to the brain chemical (relieves the pain) when the bird plucks thier brain release the chemical and they get addicted to it. It can start off as a lack of something or boredom, whatever, then becomes an addiction.

#20790 - 05/25/07 02:30 PM Re: Chicken going bald
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have the same problem with our girls going bald from our rooster. Also their backs went bald. I tried duct tape for that but it didn't stick to their heads. The duct tape helped their backs heal from the rooster making them sore but I'm still waiting for their feathers to grow back because the hens started picking each others feathers. Now I am using a bitter lime spray from a local pet store. It seems to help with the picking but it is hard to spray on their heads. I have to remove the rooster out of the hen house so he dont attack me when I spray them. Good Luck with yours.

#20791 - 05/25/07 03:13 PM Re: Chicken going bald
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
My Rooster is a real mate-a-holic, all the time mate, mate :p Your hen is probably bald because of the rooster mating all the time. That's what allways happens to my hens laugh especialy Banana "Elbino's favorite hen" JULIA smile cool

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2