Topic Options
#20857 - 07/29/02 08:12 PM Brassy/buff on wing bow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an excellent, winning line of exhibition light brahma bantams. While my pullets are the winners, the males are pretty good also. They might win sometimes if it wasn't for one problem-brassiness. Actually, I don't think it is really brassiness, more of a buff washed look to the wing bow. The buff tinge is nowhere else on the bird. I suspect it is from some person crossing the lights with buff brahmas in the past. I would try to select against it, but all the males I hatch out have some of it. Usually the best type males have the most buff. The father of most of the birds had clear bows.

Is there anything that will help speed up the selection against it, or am I stuck with trying to do the impossible?

#20858 - 07/31/02 11:02 AM Re: Brassy/buff on wing bow
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
If you can't find any clear birds to breed with, you probably will have to introduce a new line and start over with body type, etc. It may be a tough decision, but it beats getting faulted (disqualified) for the "brassiness".

Oatman_99

#20859 - 07/31/02 10:28 PM Re: Brassy/buff on wing bow
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Pakers, Same thing has happened with the majority of Silver Dutch Bantams. Once crossed with Light Browns to produce Goldens, the females are always Silver in phenotype, but may genetically, be Goldens, carrying an attached gene, which produces smutty red on wing bows, sometimes back. It is almost impossible to remove in endless generations! Both sexes carry it and the females look clear (but produce the bits of color on the male offspring). It is one thing that the Genetics books do not show--but a Holland Geneticist has defined it--

It means starting with new birds that have not been outcrossed in the past (as far as one can tell). CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69