Topic Options
#20979 - 11/24/06 04:07 PM Duckwing Chick Turned Black
A. Charles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arkansas
I have a 12 week old Bantam Araucana chick that was born Golden Duckwing with a wide black dorsal stripe. At eight weeks I noticed he was turning black. Now at 12 weeks he is most definitely a solid flat black color with a light area around his eyes that I see sometimes in my chicks that carry a Columbian gene and his eyes were a slate blue at 8 weeks. This chick is slow feathering and the cross is a Brown Red cockerel to his full sister (a Silver Duckwing) so I assume something recessive may be popping up here? Has anyone seen a chick with pronounced Duckwing striping as a chick turn almost solid black in it's juvenile feathering? I will try to get some pictures of him. He is a bit ratty looking with all his bare spots. Thanks for any help on this. smile

#20980 - 11/24/06 04:26 PM Re: Duckwing Chick Turned Black
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
AC,

What you have is a bird that is heterozygous birchen and wild type ER/e+. Birchen is incomletely dominant to e+ so you had an e+ phenotype expression on the down and the adult plumage is expressed as birchen.

Tim

#20981 - 11/25/06 04:23 AM Re: Duckwing Chick Turned Black
A. Charles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arkansas
Tim,

Thank you for the response. The explanation seems simple enough except that I have had the ER gene in my flock for a few years now along with E and e+ and the ER is what I am trying to breed out. I know the ER chicks when they are hatched because they are black with the cinnamon faces. After hatching hundreds of chicks with these three genes in various combinations this is the first time I have run across a duckwing chick turning black in it's juvenile feathering (two other chicks from this particular cross did the same thing). The cockerel who sired this chick was hatched with the black body and cinnamon face and matured to be a Brown Red as the always do. Could it be more likely I picked up some melanizers from the Silver Duckwing cross (new blood)?? Is duckwing down turning black something you have run across before?

#20982 - 11/25/06 06:43 AM Re: Duckwing Chick Turned Black
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
AC

I mostly work with dominate white, blue,eWh,ey,ig, eb,E,ER,Co,Db and Pg. I do not breed birds that are silver and wild type.

You may have picked up a recessive gene from the silver duckwing and a recessive gene from the birchen bird that caused the down color. Lots of unknown genes floating around.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you would breed two of the chicks together and see what hatches from the cross. Then you would be able to tell more about what is happening.

If it is a recesssive gene that effects down color then every heterozygous ER/e+ F1 chick will have wild type down and change to black. The wild type F1 would stay wild type when they put on their juvenile plumage. The birchen F1 would be birchen.

Tim

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69