Topic Options
#21514 - 06/02/03 06:04 AM Gigantism revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a very large rooster that walks like he has gigantism. I posted about this some time ago. He is mild-mannered but he does breed. He is the sire of some of the eggs we hatched some time ago. I finished butchering our latest batch yesterday and I don't want this guy breeding anymore.

His progeny have a very high rate of skeletal deformities. They are humpbacked, they have asymmetrical pelvises and they have leg deformities. Here is his picture (Sandra hates this picture). The bird was very young when this photo was taken. He's quite a bit bigger now. But, he is going to the stew pot.

#21515 - 06/03/03 01:27 AM Re: Gigantism revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's too bad he has genetic problems. Would be a very good breeding project. Well, hope he tastes good.

#21516 - 06/05/03 04:57 PM Re: Gigantism revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

If he weighs more than 20 pounds try out crossing him to a large broiler female. How much doies he weigh now ?? eek

#21517 - 06/10/03 03:00 PM Re: Gigantism revisited
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your posts. I haven't weighed him lately, but, if my memory serves me, at around 8 weeks he was over 13 pounds. He is double the size of anything else in the yard. He has a hard time breeding because he is just physically too big. He gets up on her back and her butt usually doesn't extend back far enough for him. Somehow he manages with a few.

But he is chock-full of genes for skeletal deformities. I believe it is a mistake to breed this fellow anymore.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69