Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22533 - 11/27/02 11:04 AM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what the name of the restrictor is. I'm sure Ron could shed some light on it. It changes a silver wyandotte tail into a silver polish tail. It also affects the wings and neck by taking the black out of them.

In silver-spangled hamburgs, they are a white bird with spangled body feathers, black-spangled tips on the tail, spangled wings, and spangled neck feathers.

But in golden-spangled hamburgs, they are a golden-bay bird with black spangles on the body only. The tail is black, the wings are black with a bay edging, and the neck is striped. Think golden laced wyandotte with spangles.

#22534 - 11/27/02 04:55 PM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Anonymous
Unregistered

into a silver polish tail? that would be interesting. i wonder what it would do to a bbr or some of the othe r common colors, they all seen to have rather black tails which i do not care for.

#22535 - 11/27/02 05:04 PM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Im going to try and lose the black in some of my sp hams. I think I can rid the body fairly easy. The tails are not solid black, but have some white in them. I will try and put the most white pairs together. The 2 clearest are sibs, so dont know if that will make less black or just what to expect. I want a all white ham.

#22536 - 11/27/02 06:03 PM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Anonymous
Unregistered

all white hams are banned or not recoqnized for their similarity with the breed " white rosecomb"

#22537 - 12/02/02 08:51 AM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since there are no white rosecomb large fowl, there should be no reason why you can't make White Hamburg large fowl. And I would guess that adding the black restricter to a BB Red would give a female with an all brown-stippled tail.

#22538 - 12/02/02 09:38 AM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

White is a standard variety of hamburgs and there are a few around, blue is being worked on too. Are,nt there rc leghorns in large fowl?

#22539 - 12/02/02 09:53 AM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Right you are, Rob, those being yellow-legged as per Standard. There were some fantastic RC White Leghorns about 40 years ago. It was one of the 'stringmen' that showed them at the Kansas State Fair when I was a lad. I hadn't realized how many varieties of Leghorns existed until I saw his stock. The Golden Duckwings and the Reds were superb. For my part, I am trying to get the solid black tail feathers into my SC Black Leghorns: those Black Hamburgs look too tempting.

#22540 - 12/02/02 04:31 PM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

You can do that. There is not a large didderence. The only real problem I see is the leg color and that aint that hard. Dont know bout eye color? Are those hams getting big? Couple of mine are really large, couldnt show as old birds. What have you done to lose the bad color feathers so far?

#22541 - 12/02/02 05:06 PM Re: birchen and silver penciled
Anonymous
Unregistered

pakers oh you got me there. i live in the world of bantam, being a little on the short side myself.

What is the black restrictor and where can i find it? or is this the birchin effect, that male and female have similar basic e patterns so things like lacing have similar effect? maybe there is no black restrictor.

this stuff is hard to fathom i have a couple silver dukwing mutts with the black stipple faded out on the bows of the wings and a few other spots. the other areas are more sharply stippled it looks like part of her is out of focus.

#22542 - 12/03/02 07:11 AM Re: birchen and silver penciled
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Just to confuse the tail issue, I have an ER/eWh Jap cockerel that is a poorly marked Blue Silver Spangled, but with solid blue tail. I also have an ER/e+ d’Uccle cockerel that at 1st glance looks like a Buff Columbian, complete with columbian markings around neck, saddle & black tail. He hatched as a solid black. Both would have to have Db (Dark Brown), Columbian. Other d’Uccles have some poor spangling, but mostly black with gold on back/wings/breast. There is Pg, Ml in both lines but not necessarily every bird. Of course, these are heterozygotes & plenty of variation. Nowhere near any variety standard, just oddities. Neither are crossbred, no Hamburg/Sebright, etc, just recombining genes from colour crosses others have made before me. A lot of fun finding what’s hidden.

Dr O. mentioned previously of segregated ER Buff lines. Crawford mentions of Buff Minorca (Brumbaugh & Hollander, 1966) with ey or ebc/?, Co/Co, db+/db+, Mh/Mh, Di/Di. All Co, Db, Mh, & Di genes are listed in Crawford as Colombian-like restrictors. I don’t think it was conclusive as to what genes/combinations are necessary for a solid buff bird. Anyone know any more recent studies?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69