Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2256 - 12/12/02 04:35 PM New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
or whatever. I still think this forum needs a social or misc. catagory. In support of this request, I feel the posters , here, at the COOP, have become, sort of family. Sometimes there is no damn chicken topic. So, why take up space on a thread dedicated to a specific topic? You know, what if a guy just wants to flirt!!!, or whine!! Well, thanks for the consideration anyhows.

#2257 - 12/12/02 11:21 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sad eh? But even tho Ive only been coming here for a few weeks, I feel right at home. Mostly it's just me and the kids and study, so it's nice to know that life exists on the outside!! I fifth or sixth the motion for a social page of some sort.

#2258 - 12/13/02 06:42 AM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Sad?? I dont see sad. The Coop is the most reliable and informational site pertaining to poultry going. I am guilty of going off topic on occassion and it will happen. Even at a poultry show all discussion is not related to chooks. I am stuck at the farm and my critters only talk on Christmas, that leaves the rest of the year to takl to myself. You cannot imagine how bad that becomes. The Coop , unfortunatly for you-all, is my only other real outlet!! :rolleyes:

#2259 - 12/13/02 09:15 AM Re: New thread topic
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
rob, This is what the Private Message is for. If I didn't have a hundred other things waiting to be done, I would enjoy having a social link. But that is not the purpose for the maintenance of the COOP! It is a gift to us, to exchange Poultry information--and truly is the best site for this purpose! If there is anyone or "anyones" you want to joke, flirt with , or whine about, go ahead and send a Private Message. Some of us just don't have time to sort through such topics on this site, even if it would be amusing or a a chance to share misery. I trash the "funny" stories that are forwarded to me--just don't have time for them and seldom would send one on to anyone else. Try it. CJR (When the snow is deep and the temp very LOW, I, too am stuck here at home-- days on end--I don't mind!)

#2260 - 12/13/02 12:14 PM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I can appreciate that CJR. And you are correct. Thankyou for the response.

#2261 - 12/13/02 02:12 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

As usual, CJR is right on the button with her wisdom. This is a sight for chicken talk. I have learnt much from the COOP but have problems wasting my time reading that people are actually hanging up stockings in the henhouse and busy baking corn bread for their chickens' Christmas dinner. No knowledge is gained from these posts. Do the chickens actually watch the calandar, counting the days til Christmas? Please do not take this post wrong- but there has to be a more appropriate place for these conversations. I am just a farm boy who takes good care of his chickens and sees them as a source of eggs and Sunday dinner. I have no problem with people who view their chickens differently. When I run into a problem, I run to the knowledgable people who read the COOP. MEERY CHRISTMAS COOPERS.

#2262 - 12/13/02 02:58 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
CJR, you are right, we must use this space for discussing poultry.
However... I also want to support your idea, Rob. It would indeed be nice to have a place to exchange a joke, a (non chicken) thought, some friendship, whatever, even to talk about misfortunes if need be. But as Jean suggests, we can send PM's and, if we feel confortable with it, we can give our e-mail address. Most people, of course, like to stay anonymous.
We must leave this matter to the appreciation of the owner of this place. It does take up server space.

#2263 - 12/13/02 03:03 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

North Rooster, you are right too. I think Rob's idea is to separate the "useless" talk from the "serious" talk so as not to waste the time of those who don't want to read it.

#2264 - 12/13/02 03:08 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Another idea is that the threads in this topic would not have to be kept available for a long time and could be erased after a little while to safe space.

#2265 - 12/13/02 04:01 PM Re: New thread topic
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Everyone has some good pionts here. I do enjoy the social talk as well as the serious issues. I think there is and will always be light topics. Its just human nature to interact this way and its what makes the coop so friendly. I think a forum for these things is a good idea. Anny made a good suggestion that it could be short lived to save space. This way if someone isnt interested they can skip it. I dont view some of the forums daily because I haven't the knowlege or interest in the topic. I also agree that PMs have a place if a comment or topic is for one individual then a PM is the way to go. I think robs idea was for just such things as the Christmas thread.

North Rooster
I understand your piont, but had to laugh at the fact that you had to read down several posts to get to the corn bread wink It may not be knowlege gained, but it makes for a better day!

Enough said. Its just my opinion. Everybody gets one you know laugh

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn