Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2266 - 12/13/02 04:02 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually think Rob has somthing there.. there isn't always something necessairly going on in chicken land, or at my coop and it's nice to be able to say hi to others (take this thread for example), maybe see if they're just as bored as I am.. if it was labled something like.. "Babble" or "Chatter" then those who don't want to read/partake, can just move on to, let's say, the genetics section... I don't always have something to say, but I do find some of the things people do amusing, and if I don't, there's always the back button.. JMHO... smile

#2267 - 12/13/02 06:30 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 2cents
I think the idea of a separate section for chatter and non-chicken talk is an excellent idea.
I agree completely with Rob, CJR, AND others. All of you are correct.
Rob, you are right sometimes, not often mind you, I do want to talk about something other than chickens.
CJR you are also right, sometimes I do not have time to read all the posts. Placing the "social" posts in a separate section would allow me to skip those when I am in a hurry. Having a separate section would keep these posts from cluttering the other more business sections.
My two cents...if it's worth that much.
Shari

#2268 - 12/13/02 07:40 PM Re: New thread topic
Stretch Man Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
What? Theres more to life than poultry? I am beginning to think that socializing is standing at the coop talking to my chooks! laugh

#2269 - 12/13/02 07:56 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I seem to remember that someone else suggested a "Social Page" for this site. I enjoy the social type stuff when I have time and energy to read it. I certainly don't get offended by other people's chatter 'cause if I'm not interested...I don't read it. For the hard core chicken people, I'm sure it would help if we had a thread just for social talk. The Holidays are hard for some people too and it sure gets dark early this time of year so the chickens go to bed early. laugh It would be nice to have a place to socialize with others who enjoy chicken stuff and not have to worry about causing a bottleneck for those who need important information in a hurry. We've probably all been in a situation where we need FACTS and expert knowledge quickly so I understand all sides of this.
So Ms. Moderator, how about a social thread for all this fun and not serious chatter????
Seems like that would make everyone happy.

#2270 - 12/14/02 05:58 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I passed the suggestions about a social page along to headquarters two or tree weeks ago, just so everyone knows. Anyone can send along their own comments by clicking on the admin moderator link at the top fo the page. For now, we can just start up a social string on the management list when we want. Good comments one and all.

#2271 - 12/14/02 10:10 AM Re: New thread topic
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
I too would like to see a social thread. Sometimes I would like to post a cute pic of a new chicken but don't feel it appropriate. I value the information on this board more than any of you can imagine. You made me confident that I could raise chickens successfully. But I also like to get to know the other fun stuff too but don't want to upset anyone so I stay quiet (most of the time..he he)
Just my opinion.

#2272 - 12/14/02 04:38 PM Re: New thread topic
Chicken Mom Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I think there should be a topic for the lighter side of raising chickens. It's one thing to share the important knowledge needed and anouther to share the pure joy in having our chickens around. This site is the first site I've found where people actually try to help a novice with their questions. I couldn't even get anyone to tell me when to expect my wyandots to lay from the sites I went to first. All the insight and help here is absolutely wonderful.

#2273 - 12/14/02 05:05 PM Re: New thread topic
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
And very much appreciated!!!

#2274 - 12/14/02 05:59 PM Re: New thread topic
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I agree that a forum just for chat might concentrate the social aspects of poultry raising and make the other threads of more substance than fluff (although fluff is a part of what makes some breeds attractive and that might be true of this board as well).

#2275 - 12/15/02 03:03 AM Re: New thread topic
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Hi Everyone:
I haven't posted on the board since October due to a variety of reasons - visiting my kids in Scotland (where one is in Vet School) and Spain, The Ohio National, the Holidays, a death in the family - all the stuff that makes up life. But I have missed you even if you didn't notice my absence.
On this subject, here are my thoughts and questions:
There are many times when I have relied on information obtained at the Coop in the management/care of my flock. Will the members who are more experienced "keepers" continue to read and respond to those in need of help or will they more quickly turn to the social threads since they've "seen it/done it" all before? Like CJR, time is at a premium for me. I can't even read all of the postings now that I want to read.
YET....I am curious to know some not-so-serious things: Was anyone else here at the Ohio National? I was sort of disappointed that I didn't meet/recognize anyone from the Coop there, especially CJR.
It was very touching not only to discuss the mechanics of culling but also the spiritual/psychological side of the process.
I'd also be interested in some of the politics of poultry raising/production. I'd like to learn some of the issues facing other back yard flocks as well as those the commercial operators find important/challenging. Yes, I would like to know more about D Caveny, for example, as it is clear that he has a tremendous amount of knowledge but is in a far different category of keeper than I am.
Sometimes - and maybe this seems a tad bit self important but I'm sure it applies to many other urban keepers - I feel that my flock is sort of an ambassador flock for chickens with regard to our city friends from all walks of life who thought all chickens were white, had never heard a live rooster, had no idea how eggs are fertilized, couldn't fathom that a chicken could know its own name let alone have a personality....and in discussing poultry with others, I find myself using information about other poultry keeping operations that I've learned about here at the Coop.
It seems to me that the more we understand and appreciate one another, the more we can work together for the good of poultry keeping in general. But does this mean that we should get personal?
I guess I made up for being quiet for so long.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn