Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2276 - 12/15/02 03:34 AM Re: New thread topic
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
sadlm2: check for a pm in your profile. Good to see you back, and the points that you raise are valid ones and I hope will be discussed.

#2277 - 12/15/02 04:52 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I took the time this Sunday Morning to read all the post about a new thread. Some of us enjoy our chickens so much we can't help but brag. :p The family members that had chickens when I was little are gone now and I rely on the information I get here. I really do enjoy posting responces to the few subjects I can post to. And since I am new at this it is mostly the social things that I can reply to. I'm still trying to figure out that formula for the right amout of igredients and where to get them for the maximum production of laying hens. frown Some times I go back and read old post the refresh my memory and enjoy when the same question is asked again cause just maybe someone will reply that didn't reply before and I get a chance to learn something new. Any one who wants to just chit chat can send me a PM and I will get back to you.... now that I know how to do this. eek Whether we have a social thread or not I love this place! smile

#2278 - 12/15/02 08:33 AM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sadlm2.. My remarks on flirting and whining were not meant seriously! That would be personal and mostly inappropriat even for a off topic subject heading. When I first came to The Coop, there werent as many posters, I only visited the genetics and breed threads and there wasnt a whole lot of chit chat. Even when there was, there were few posts per day. That has changed, for the better . I think we check all the threads when time permits. If 3-4 pages are to be taken up on dog kills chicken, that is not genetics, is it management, where does it properly fit in; maybe the off topic thread?

#2279 - 12/16/02 07:33 AM Re: New thread topic
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
On one professional listserv I belong to, several years ago, someone was concerned with the "socialization" of the list that was perceived to be a disruption from the list's initial mission and goals. She suggested that a social sub-list be formed. As you might guess, there were two camps, those in favor of ridding the main list of all the gab, and the other camp, that enjoyed the puns, tangents, and socializing and thought it improved the list. The sub-list was formed; however, it produced so many messages (90 plus a day), few of which I thought were worth reading, that I dropped out very soon. The old list suffered as well. To adhere to the professional mission, it had been common for folks to go to very clever extremes to incorporate something "professional" into a message when it was obviously intended for fun or a more social purpose. The controversy led to some hard feelings, and a few of the cleverest members dropped out, and the list (probably for many other reasons as well) has never returned to its golden era.

The situation is not the same here, so I don't know if any of the above would apply, but I rather like staying with the status quo.

The professional group, by the way, is a bunch of librarians.

#2280 - 12/16/02 10:02 PM Re: New thread topic
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Thank you, BigBoy..for both the post and the PM. I have responded.
Rob, I have to say that I'm a little relieved to read your clarification. As for the "dog kills chicken" issue, I still do believe that it would be an appropriate post in the poultry management area. In the beginning of my days @ the Coop, a member Heidi responded to my query about predator control with her idea of the electric fence and I have been grateful to that girl every day since then. I'm not sure as a new person that I would have posted my question in a topic that appeared to be social in content.
Having said all that - now and the other day - I myself would enjoy a separate topic area where members could post photos of their new chicks, best layers, best examples of breeds owned, old but still loved spent hens, proud roosters etc. I loved the photo that I think Lee posted of the little girl feeding his flock.
But I would sure hate to see us divided as Jhenderson described those fractious (just a joke) librarians. As I said before, it's the diversity of situations, vast amount of knowledge and wonderful tolerance on this board that make it so fabulous.

#2281 - 12/17/02 08:02 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just my opinion, but I've been to other poultry forums where the subjects were more broken down. I found it cumbersome to have to open a new forum to check for things I sought. I don't use them, for that reason. Compared to poultryconnection, the traffic on this poultry management forum is not all that heavy. I find it easy enough to skim through and pick out what interests me. Granted, I may have more time than some of the others. I do appreciate the social aspect of the forum, and don't find it to be an obstacle for finding and sharing information.

#2282 - 12/17/02 10:27 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd have to say that I also don't see a need for a social page. That's what P.M.'s are for. I belonged to another site that got so wrapped up in the social aspect, that important post were being neglected. People got nasty, feelings were hurt, knowledgeable people left..all silly stuff over nothing. We have a good thing going here. Helpful information fast! I feel as though we have a nice social atmosphere here with being to extreme. I don't think anyone is offended when a picture is posted, or a joke told. It can be a lift on a slow day, and they way this forum is set up one can easily skip over what they want to. I do, I read what interests me and what I can learn from or advise to. When posts get onto a personal level that's interesting sometimes. You can learn more about who you are talking with, but the moderators are there to see that things stay inline. If it's not broke don't fix it! I just don't want to see a loss in the important aspects of the coop for the sake of social chit chat. I depend on the coop! More than you all know..I learn more here than I can in any book! laugh

#2283 - 12/17/02 04:59 PM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I know I am not the only one to print out a lot of the posts here, in a breed or genetics thread, there can be several wasted pwges of chit-chat. If that is removed via a social page, it keeps the flow; get my drift. Any conversation, vocal or print will drift and that is ok, this could be kept to a minimum tho. When is th last time you wanted to copy info from the other boards? They dont need a social thread, thats their entire comtent, +petty bickering. The Coop is on solid ground and will likely remain so due to the solidness of the posters.

#2284 - 12/18/02 05:54 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Management has provided a new Miscellaneous area as per your requests. Let's all watch it and post feedback so we can keep the Coop as good as it has been. I'll close this topic and we can take it down there!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn