Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2256 - 12/12/02 04:35 PM New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
or whatever. I still think this forum needs a social or misc. catagory. In support of this request, I feel the posters , here, at the COOP, have become, sort of family. Sometimes there is no damn chicken topic. So, why take up space on a thread dedicated to a specific topic? You know, what if a guy just wants to flirt!!!, or whine!! Well, thanks for the consideration anyhows.

#2257 - 12/12/02 11:21 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sad eh? But even tho Ive only been coming here for a few weeks, I feel right at home. Mostly it's just me and the kids and study, so it's nice to know that life exists on the outside!! I fifth or sixth the motion for a social page of some sort.

#2258 - 12/13/02 06:42 AM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Sad?? I dont see sad. The Coop is the most reliable and informational site pertaining to poultry going. I am guilty of going off topic on occassion and it will happen. Even at a poultry show all discussion is not related to chooks. I am stuck at the farm and my critters only talk on Christmas, that leaves the rest of the year to takl to myself. You cannot imagine how bad that becomes. The Coop , unfortunatly for you-all, is my only other real outlet!! :rolleyes:

#2259 - 12/13/02 09:15 AM Re: New thread topic
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
rob, This is what the Private Message is for. If I didn't have a hundred other things waiting to be done, I would enjoy having a social link. But that is not the purpose for the maintenance of the COOP! It is a gift to us, to exchange Poultry information--and truly is the best site for this purpose! If there is anyone or "anyones" you want to joke, flirt with , or whine about, go ahead and send a Private Message. Some of us just don't have time to sort through such topics on this site, even if it would be amusing or a a chance to share misery. I trash the "funny" stories that are forwarded to me--just don't have time for them and seldom would send one on to anyone else. Try it. CJR (When the snow is deep and the temp very LOW, I, too am stuck here at home-- days on end--I don't mind!)

#2260 - 12/13/02 12:14 PM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I can appreciate that CJR. And you are correct. Thankyou for the response.

#2261 - 12/13/02 02:12 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

As usual, CJR is right on the button with her wisdom. This is a sight for chicken talk. I have learnt much from the COOP but have problems wasting my time reading that people are actually hanging up stockings in the henhouse and busy baking corn bread for their chickens' Christmas dinner. No knowledge is gained from these posts. Do the chickens actually watch the calandar, counting the days til Christmas? Please do not take this post wrong- but there has to be a more appropriate place for these conversations. I am just a farm boy who takes good care of his chickens and sees them as a source of eggs and Sunday dinner. I have no problem with people who view their chickens differently. When I run into a problem, I run to the knowledgable people who read the COOP. MEERY CHRISTMAS COOPERS.

#2262 - 12/13/02 02:58 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
CJR, you are right, we must use this space for discussing poultry.
However... I also want to support your idea, Rob. It would indeed be nice to have a place to exchange a joke, a (non chicken) thought, some friendship, whatever, even to talk about misfortunes if need be. But as Jean suggests, we can send PM's and, if we feel confortable with it, we can give our e-mail address. Most people, of course, like to stay anonymous.
We must leave this matter to the appreciation of the owner of this place. It does take up server space.

#2263 - 12/13/02 03:03 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

North Rooster, you are right too. I think Rob's idea is to separate the "useless" talk from the "serious" talk so as not to waste the time of those who don't want to read it.

#2264 - 12/13/02 03:08 PM Re: New thread topic
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Another idea is that the threads in this topic would not have to be kept available for a long time and could be erased after a little while to safe space.

#2265 - 12/13/02 04:01 PM Re: New thread topic
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Everyone has some good pionts here. I do enjoy the social talk as well as the serious issues. I think there is and will always be light topics. Its just human nature to interact this way and its what makes the coop so friendly. I think a forum for these things is a good idea. Anny made a good suggestion that it could be short lived to save space. This way if someone isnt interested they can skip it. I dont view some of the forums daily because I haven't the knowlege or interest in the topic. I also agree that PMs have a place if a comment or topic is for one individual then a PM is the way to go. I think robs idea was for just such things as the Christmas thread.

North Rooster
I understand your piont, but had to laugh at the fact that you had to read down several posts to get to the corn bread wink It may not be knowlege gained, but it makes for a better day!

Enough said. Its just my opinion. Everybody gets one you know laugh

Bill

#2266 - 12/13/02 04:02 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually think Rob has somthing there.. there isn't always something necessairly going on in chicken land, or at my coop and it's nice to be able to say hi to others (take this thread for example), maybe see if they're just as bored as I am.. if it was labled something like.. "Babble" or "Chatter" then those who don't want to read/partake, can just move on to, let's say, the genetics section... I don't always have something to say, but I do find some of the things people do amusing, and if I don't, there's always the back button.. JMHO... smile

#2267 - 12/13/02 06:30 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 2cents
I think the idea of a separate section for chatter and non-chicken talk is an excellent idea.
I agree completely with Rob, CJR, AND others. All of you are correct.
Rob, you are right sometimes, not often mind you, I do want to talk about something other than chickens.
CJR you are also right, sometimes I do not have time to read all the posts. Placing the "social" posts in a separate section would allow me to skip those when I am in a hurry. Having a separate section would keep these posts from cluttering the other more business sections.
My two cents...if it's worth that much.
Shari

#2268 - 12/13/02 07:40 PM Re: New thread topic
Stretch Man Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
What? Theres more to life than poultry? I am beginning to think that socializing is standing at the coop talking to my chooks! laugh

#2269 - 12/13/02 07:56 PM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I seem to remember that someone else suggested a "Social Page" for this site. I enjoy the social type stuff when I have time and energy to read it. I certainly don't get offended by other people's chatter 'cause if I'm not interested...I don't read it. For the hard core chicken people, I'm sure it would help if we had a thread just for social talk. The Holidays are hard for some people too and it sure gets dark early this time of year so the chickens go to bed early. laugh It would be nice to have a place to socialize with others who enjoy chicken stuff and not have to worry about causing a bottleneck for those who need important information in a hurry. We've probably all been in a situation where we need FACTS and expert knowledge quickly so I understand all sides of this.
So Ms. Moderator, how about a social thread for all this fun and not serious chatter????
Seems like that would make everyone happy.

#2270 - 12/14/02 05:58 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I passed the suggestions about a social page along to headquarters two or tree weeks ago, just so everyone knows. Anyone can send along their own comments by clicking on the admin moderator link at the top fo the page. For now, we can just start up a social string on the management list when we want. Good comments one and all.

#2271 - 12/14/02 10:10 AM Re: New thread topic
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
I too would like to see a social thread. Sometimes I would like to post a cute pic of a new chicken but don't feel it appropriate. I value the information on this board more than any of you can imagine. You made me confident that I could raise chickens successfully. But I also like to get to know the other fun stuff too but don't want to upset anyone so I stay quiet (most of the time..he he)
Just my opinion.

#2272 - 12/14/02 04:38 PM Re: New thread topic
Chicken Mom Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I think there should be a topic for the lighter side of raising chickens. It's one thing to share the important knowledge needed and anouther to share the pure joy in having our chickens around. This site is the first site I've found where people actually try to help a novice with their questions. I couldn't even get anyone to tell me when to expect my wyandots to lay from the sites I went to first. All the insight and help here is absolutely wonderful.

#2273 - 12/14/02 05:05 PM Re: New thread topic
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
And very much appreciated!!!

#2274 - 12/14/02 05:59 PM Re: New thread topic
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I agree that a forum just for chat might concentrate the social aspects of poultry raising and make the other threads of more substance than fluff (although fluff is a part of what makes some breeds attractive and that might be true of this board as well).

#2275 - 12/15/02 03:03 AM Re: New thread topic
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Hi Everyone:
I haven't posted on the board since October due to a variety of reasons - visiting my kids in Scotland (where one is in Vet School) and Spain, The Ohio National, the Holidays, a death in the family - all the stuff that makes up life. But I have missed you even if you didn't notice my absence.
On this subject, here are my thoughts and questions:
There are many times when I have relied on information obtained at the Coop in the management/care of my flock. Will the members who are more experienced "keepers" continue to read and respond to those in need of help or will they more quickly turn to the social threads since they've "seen it/done it" all before? Like CJR, time is at a premium for me. I can't even read all of the postings now that I want to read.
YET....I am curious to know some not-so-serious things: Was anyone else here at the Ohio National? I was sort of disappointed that I didn't meet/recognize anyone from the Coop there, especially CJR.
It was very touching not only to discuss the mechanics of culling but also the spiritual/psychological side of the process.
I'd also be interested in some of the politics of poultry raising/production. I'd like to learn some of the issues facing other back yard flocks as well as those the commercial operators find important/challenging. Yes, I would like to know more about D Caveny, for example, as it is clear that he has a tremendous amount of knowledge but is in a far different category of keeper than I am.
Sometimes - and maybe this seems a tad bit self important but I'm sure it applies to many other urban keepers - I feel that my flock is sort of an ambassador flock for chickens with regard to our city friends from all walks of life who thought all chickens were white, had never heard a live rooster, had no idea how eggs are fertilized, couldn't fathom that a chicken could know its own name let alone have a personality....and in discussing poultry with others, I find myself using information about other poultry keeping operations that I've learned about here at the Coop.
It seems to me that the more we understand and appreciate one another, the more we can work together for the good of poultry keeping in general. But does this mean that we should get personal?
I guess I made up for being quiet for so long.

#2276 - 12/15/02 03:34 AM Re: New thread topic
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
sadlm2: check for a pm in your profile. Good to see you back, and the points that you raise are valid ones and I hope will be discussed.

#2277 - 12/15/02 04:52 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I took the time this Sunday Morning to read all the post about a new thread. Some of us enjoy our chickens so much we can't help but brag. :p The family members that had chickens when I was little are gone now and I rely on the information I get here. I really do enjoy posting responces to the few subjects I can post to. And since I am new at this it is mostly the social things that I can reply to. I'm still trying to figure out that formula for the right amout of igredients and where to get them for the maximum production of laying hens. frown Some times I go back and read old post the refresh my memory and enjoy when the same question is asked again cause just maybe someone will reply that didn't reply before and I get a chance to learn something new. Any one who wants to just chit chat can send me a PM and I will get back to you.... now that I know how to do this. eek Whether we have a social thread or not I love this place! smile

#2278 - 12/15/02 08:33 AM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Sadlm2.. My remarks on flirting and whining were not meant seriously! That would be personal and mostly inappropriat even for a off topic subject heading. When I first came to The Coop, there werent as many posters, I only visited the genetics and breed threads and there wasnt a whole lot of chit chat. Even when there was, there were few posts per day. That has changed, for the better . I think we check all the threads when time permits. If 3-4 pages are to be taken up on dog kills chicken, that is not genetics, is it management, where does it properly fit in; maybe the off topic thread?

#2279 - 12/16/02 07:33 AM Re: New thread topic
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
On one professional listserv I belong to, several years ago, someone was concerned with the "socialization" of the list that was perceived to be a disruption from the list's initial mission and goals. She suggested that a social sub-list be formed. As you might guess, there were two camps, those in favor of ridding the main list of all the gab, and the other camp, that enjoyed the puns, tangents, and socializing and thought it improved the list. The sub-list was formed; however, it produced so many messages (90 plus a day), few of which I thought were worth reading, that I dropped out very soon. The old list suffered as well. To adhere to the professional mission, it had been common for folks to go to very clever extremes to incorporate something "professional" into a message when it was obviously intended for fun or a more social purpose. The controversy led to some hard feelings, and a few of the cleverest members dropped out, and the list (probably for many other reasons as well) has never returned to its golden era.

The situation is not the same here, so I don't know if any of the above would apply, but I rather like staying with the status quo.

The professional group, by the way, is a bunch of librarians.

#2280 - 12/16/02 10:02 PM Re: New thread topic
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Thank you, BigBoy..for both the post and the PM. I have responded.
Rob, I have to say that I'm a little relieved to read your clarification. As for the "dog kills chicken" issue, I still do believe that it would be an appropriate post in the poultry management area. In the beginning of my days @ the Coop, a member Heidi responded to my query about predator control with her idea of the electric fence and I have been grateful to that girl every day since then. I'm not sure as a new person that I would have posted my question in a topic that appeared to be social in content.
Having said all that - now and the other day - I myself would enjoy a separate topic area where members could post photos of their new chicks, best layers, best examples of breeds owned, old but still loved spent hens, proud roosters etc. I loved the photo that I think Lee posted of the little girl feeding his flock.
But I would sure hate to see us divided as Jhenderson described those fractious (just a joke) librarians. As I said before, it's the diversity of situations, vast amount of knowledge and wonderful tolerance on this board that make it so fabulous.

#2281 - 12/17/02 08:02 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just my opinion, but I've been to other poultry forums where the subjects were more broken down. I found it cumbersome to have to open a new forum to check for things I sought. I don't use them, for that reason. Compared to poultryconnection, the traffic on this poultry management forum is not all that heavy. I find it easy enough to skim through and pick out what interests me. Granted, I may have more time than some of the others. I do appreciate the social aspect of the forum, and don't find it to be an obstacle for finding and sharing information.

#2282 - 12/17/02 10:27 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd have to say that I also don't see a need for a social page. That's what P.M.'s are for. I belonged to another site that got so wrapped up in the social aspect, that important post were being neglected. People got nasty, feelings were hurt, knowledgeable people left..all silly stuff over nothing. We have a good thing going here. Helpful information fast! I feel as though we have a nice social atmosphere here with being to extreme. I don't think anyone is offended when a picture is posted, or a joke told. It can be a lift on a slow day, and they way this forum is set up one can easily skip over what they want to. I do, I read what interests me and what I can learn from or advise to. When posts get onto a personal level that's interesting sometimes. You can learn more about who you are talking with, but the moderators are there to see that things stay inline. If it's not broke don't fix it! I just don't want to see a loss in the important aspects of the coop for the sake of social chit chat. I depend on the coop! More than you all know..I learn more here than I can in any book! laugh

#2283 - 12/17/02 04:59 PM Re: New thread topic
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I know I am not the only one to print out a lot of the posts here, in a breed or genetics thread, there can be several wasted pwges of chit-chat. If that is removed via a social page, it keeps the flow; get my drift. Any conversation, vocal or print will drift and that is ok, this could be kept to a minimum tho. When is th last time you wanted to copy info from the other boards? They dont need a social thread, thats their entire comtent, +petty bickering. The Coop is on solid ground and will likely remain so due to the solidness of the posters.

#2284 - 12/18/02 05:54 AM Re: New thread topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Management has provided a new Miscellaneous area as per your requests. Let's all watch it and post feedback so we can keep the Coop as good as it has been. I'll close this topic and we can take it down there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn