Topic Options
#23881 - 10/10/08 12:41 AM What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Scooter Offline
Chick

Loc: Australia
Hi,
I really want to get some Quail Colour D'Uccles into my flock. Does anyone know what coloured hen and rooster I need to mate to produce Quail Colour? I have been trying to buy Quail D'Uccles in Australia for over 12 months but no one wants to sell any.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some input on this one?

Kind Regards

Scott

#23882 - 10/10/08 12:47 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
You need e+, columbian and melanizers.

What colors are available?

#23883 - 10/10/08 01:17 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Scooter Offline
Chick

I have Black Mottled,Lavender,Millefleur, Blue Millefleur, Blue Mottled,cream, cream mottled, lavender mottled, and lavender cuckoo.

Regards

Scott

#23884 - 10/10/08 03:07 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If your millies are e+ based, lavender times millie will do it. You would have to breed out the lavender later, but would avoid mottling in the quails. What E allele is in the creams and cuckoos?

#23885 - 10/10/08 05:37 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Scooter Offline
Chick

Hi Jocelyn,
So if I put my Millefleur hen with my Lavender rooster this would give me something close to Quail? Or have I misunderstood. Sorry I am fairly new to this so if you wouldn't mind bein patient with me I will be very greatful

Regards

Scott

#23886 - 10/10/08 06:58 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Quails need to be e+ at the E allelle, so if the millefleurs are e+, mate a millie cock or hen to a black or lavender. I'd use a lavender as the lavender gene is recessive and they are not mottled, so that will be one less thing to breed out. Lavenders are blacks with the lac/lav gene pair added, and all good blacks are carrying black intensifiers like melanotic and others. E+ and melanotic make quail. If the millies are not e+, you will need to find some that are. Many millies are wheaten based, but those that hatch with chipmunk stripes are the ones you want. So millfleur to lavender should give all blacks, carrying lavender, mottled and black breasted red or e+. You can mate them to siblings and recover the quails that way, or mate one of the lav/millie crosses to the millies again, and recover them that way. You will still need to breed out the mottles. Black mottled and lavender are both black based, and may carry silver, without you being able to see it. The youngsters may be silver quails. If you want gold quails, take a silver quail hen and mate her to a millie cock, giving all gold hens, some of which will get black and melanotic with the BBR or e+. The ones that don't get melanotic will be BBR, rather than quail, but you can still used them with birds that do carry melanotic to get more quails. Blacks might also carry columbian, which can give laced breasts on quail hens, and one more thing to breed out later...grin.

#23887 - 10/10/08 12:42 PM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Scooter Offline
Chick

Hi Jocelyn,
Thanks very much for explaining it in such depth.

I really appreciate it

Regards

Scott

#23888 - 10/11/08 01:10 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Would not breed out the columbian for it is the base of quail color.

Jocelyn,
Could you elaborate on the laced breast on quail hens?

#23889 - 10/11/08 04:04 AM Re: What 2 Colours to Produce Quail Colour?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I get lacing on female breasts, just the ends of the feathers, not a complete lace. It occurs on birds carrying silver as well as gold, and even silver birds can be a warm shade if carrying some red enhancers. If you want to send your address to jclarke@pei.sympatico.ca, I can send you pictures. I'm not real literate around photo sites, so you could post it further if you wish to.
Jocelyn

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69